Combustible Material Question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Busy Bee

Sep 12, 2012
Good Morning: :)

I recently enclosed a back porch on our Farm House. I want to install a US STOVE - Logwood 1261- for supplemental Heat and a Cook Stove.

I have std. 12x12 Mexican quarry tile on the floor & went up 60 inches square in an area that I figured the wood stove would go in a through the wall pipe installation. This was done well over 2 years ago and I did little research on the combustible ratings of the area & materials. I really did not know what stove I wanted to include in the room, as of the construction date. The wall is a 5/16 inch paneling doubled up and 5/8 inch plywood on the floor, over a 5/8’s sub floor.

If I follow the US STOVE CLEARANCE SPECIFICATIONS as specified, would I have to remove the 60-Inch square area of Tile on the Wall & place durarock-then place the tile back? Same Question for the Floor Area?

We are down here in Hooterville within Georgia & have no mandated Building or Zoning Codes-Enforcement, within seven Counties of the Farm. No building Inspector or Permits. However, I want to do it right.

With All Best Wishes:

Busy Bee
Busy Bee Farms

The stove requires a UL listed and approved floor protector that's at least 28" x 60". The floor protector can sit on the existing quarry tile floor. Definitely don't scrimp on clearances for the stove and consider adding a key damper to the flue pipe for better control. These stoves can runaway and get quite hot without attentive control.

The wall clearances may be confusing you. There are multiple listings. If you make no changes to the room then the back of the stove must be 26" from the wall behind it and the side of the stove must be at least 36" from any combustible including a wall on either side. These clearances can be reduced by using an NFPA 211 approved wall protection method.That's where the tile, stone or brick covered cement board (durock or wonderboard) come in. Though the wall protector could also be made out of another non-combustible material like metal. With a proper wall shield the clearances can be reduced to 12" side and back.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/stove_wall_clear

Don't forget to put about an inch and a half of sand on the floor of the firebox before starting the first fire.

Good Morning: (begreen) :)

Many Thanks for the information. This is my eighth wood stove over the years & the most confusing. So, let me see if we are on the same page. As the room is designed, there will be around 60 inches clearance on both sides of the stove. I do not like the Floor Protectors that are available down here. Mainly at Tractor Supply. Otherwise, shipping will match the value of the Protector.

So, It appears in order to get the 12 inch clearance, I will need to rip up the Floor Tile & place a layer of Durarock & then replace the tile on top. The back wall is now 60" x 60", with just the tile placed on the wood paneling. The quarry tile is the same on the Floor & the make shift wall protection, behind the proposed Stove. It appears that the Durarock will have to be placed there (wall) too, in order to get the 12 inch clearance????? Does anyone have any links or pictures of the Key Damper you spoke of?????

I had two stoves in North Georgia approved by a NFI Inspector years ago, with these same plans as above. Where I messed up is, I did not think about the Duralock. Before, in the years past, I used the durarock as a backer board for the tile. However, it is reasonable to think that the Quarry tile would be enough. I used Firebrick Mortar for Grout. Therefore, Old Country Folks need to learn new tricks.

With All Best Wishes:

Busy Bee
Busy Bee Farms

Good Morning: (begreen) :)

Many Thanks for the information. This is my eighth wood stove over the years & the most confusing. So, let me see if we are on the same page. As the room is designed, there will be around 60 inches clearance on both sides of the stove. I do not like the Floor Protectors that are available down here. Mainly at Tractor Supply. Otherwise, shipping will match the value of the Protector.

So, It appears in order to get the 12 inch clearance, I will need to rip up the Floor Tile & place a layer of Durarock & then replace the tile on top. The back wall is now 60" x 60", with just the tile placed on the wood paneling. The quarry tile is the same on the Floor & the make shift wall protection, behind the proposed Stove. It appears that the Durarock will have to be placed there (wall) too, in order to get the 12 inch clearance????? Does anyone have any links or pictures of the Key Damper you spoke of?????

I had two stoves in North Georgia approved by a NFI Inspector years ago, with these same plans as above. Where I messed up is, I did not think about the Duralock. Before, in the years past, I used the durarock as a backer board for the tile. However, it is reasonable to think that the Quarry tile would be enough. I used Firebrick Mortar for Grout. Therefore, Old Country Folks need to learn new tricks.

With All Best Wishes:

Busy Bee
Busy Bee Farms

The floor protector is not what is determining the clearance to the walls. That is a separate issue completely. But yes, the floor protection may need to be beefed up. You could build the hearth (floor) protection on top of the current floor if that is easier.

The distance to the walls is determined by the wall protection (or not). If you want reduced wall clearances it sounds like you will need to redo the wall protection It will need to have a 1" air gap behind it to qualify. Read the link I posted in my previous posting.

A key damper is a simple pipe damper like this one.

key damper.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.