Combustible Wall Clearance Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RISurfer20

May 12, 2007
I placed 1/4 tile over a sheetrock on adjacent walls by the wood stove. Currently the wood stove is 12" away from the walls. (corner measurement) I believe this is still considered a combustible wall but will my clearances decrease at all, say 2/3's? Ultimately I would like to place the wood stove a couple of inches closer to the walls.

You are correct. An air gap is needed to reduce clearances. I don't believe you can reduce it with just the tile veneer.

What is the stove's make and model? Does it have a rear heat shield option?

Plain ceramic tile has such a bad R value its not even worth considering. Also I think in the code book 12" is the absolute closest you can get, even with clearance reducing methods. Could be that I did not properly understand the table I was looking at though.

you may be able to decrease the clearences but it is most likely going to be in accordance with what the owners manual Green is right you can only reduces down 1/3 and no less then 12 inches by nfpa 211 but you need to have a 1 inch air gap to make it an approved wall go to the owners man. for specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.