Combustibles help for newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harriec

Oct 31, 2015
Harrie
Hi, I'm new to logburners. I'm installing my own logburner and hearth in a corner with a twin lined flue. Pretty standard set up. My question is about the plaster board.

My stove manual states that it needs to be 350mm from combustibles (50mm from non-combustibles). The hearth is fine. It will be black limestone sat on concrete....no problem there. However I'm going to put up fireboarding to protect the walls(brand advice welcomed) then tile over the top. So do I need to get rid of my old plasterboard or can I put the fireboarding in front? Can I just have a cavity between them? I want to avoid removing the old plasterboard.

Got the building inspector coming on Friday to sign off....don't want it all done wrong!

Thanks in advance!!
Harrie

Welcome. UK rules may vary from US rules as well as product options for wall shielding. Here we use cement board as a tile backing. It is non-combustible and available everywhere. A popular brand is Durock NexGen. If this cement board is placed on 1" ceramic or metal spacers there is no need to disturb the wall behind it. For maximum protection this heat shield wall should be open 1" at the bottom and at the top so that air can freely convect behind it.

Reactions: Harriec
Status
Not open for further replies.