Combustion air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
I hate to start the combustion air thing..... but here goes. Would it make a difference in he stoves ability to heat if the combustion air were drawn from a separate part of the house/outside? I have read several differing thoughts on this, and I am still unsure. Sense tells mes that drawing cold air from "elsewhere" is more efficient than using already heated air, as well as causing a slight negative pressure around the stove, drawing cold air in through cracks, or other parts of the house. What are some thoughts on this? More efficient/heat or not worth it?

From a simple net gain in BTU output for the amount of wood burned, it is a wash. Burning heated air versus having the heat the cold air inside the stove is the same. What is different is comfort factor not feeling as much in cold drafts and less negative pressure risking flue reversal on other appliances and/or reducing air flow to the wood stove. If there is significant pressure deficit at the stove, the OAK can and will provide more air than the room would.

Status
Not open for further replies.