Combustor light off question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lillyrat

Dec 23, 2007
Central Indiana
I have a Dutchwest FA288 that is giving me problems when lighting off the combustor. I was wondering if the type of wood used would make a difference. I seemed to be having a problem getting light off when I fill it about 3/4 full with about 3 splits of Hickory and run it at full air for about 30-40 minutes and get the combustor up to about 550, stack about 350 and then hit the bypass. The temperature of the combustor will climb slowly to about 800 and then just quit and hang out there. Usually When I load with smaller splits and some more Oak, I can get 1200 degree combustor temps. I was wondering if I maybe need to run the temperature up a little more and then hit the bypass, it just seems to take forever to get the stack temp up with the big splits of Hickory. I do believe the hickory to be seasoned, no signs to the contrary.
I put a replacement combustor in this fall. The supplier could no longer get the ceramic combustor so I had to go with the all metal one and it seems to work decent at times, except when I load it full at night and then try to get light off. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lillyrat

I have the small Dutchwest stove, most of my burns are in the 1100 to 1200 range, but I too, get some that are only in the 800-900 range and just kind of hang there. I think every load is different. I tend to see more consistant Cat. temps when I burn continuously and dont let the stove cool down much.

Thanks for the reply. I seem to have a problem when I let the Cat cool off from 1100 down to 500, then load it up and let it char and then try and engage the cat. I am wondering if it may be this new style all metal cat that I put in it. I would like to hear if anyone else is using the all metal cat.

Thanks,

Lillyrat

Status
Not open for further replies.