Come along with me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Wules

Jul 30, 2015
Central RI
Here's my quandary. I finally got a Winch at HF for 14 dollars with coupon. It's rated at 2 tons. The anchor hook is connected to the frame. The winching side has a small length of wire rope. I'm looking to take down a hung up tree.

My question is what is the best material to attach the anchor and secure the Winch to the tree.

air craft cable ,wire rope ,rope ,chain
Your choice !!

Nylon choker would be my choice

Reactions: D8Chumley
Nylon straps. just remember to PAY ATTENTION to what is happening above you, hung trees are a good way to get yourself killed.

When there's something involved that can kill me, I tend to not trust something that cost $14. It sounds, however, that you are. I'd use a nylon strap, if I had to choose.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I have a collection of old shoulder seat belts that I use on occasion. The brackets that bolt to car body work well for attachment with grade 8 bolts , can even use the buckle for quick hook ups. They are designed to hold bodies in place under strong forces so should do for a wrap around a tree.

I use a big ass towing strap. Pulling from the side. Way away from the side. Those lil HF winches can do them some pulling. Have two of'em. One mounted on a hitch receiver.

Don't forget the blanket on the cable and hide behind a tree.

Thanks for your replies. To bro where do you put the blanket.
I ain't speaking for BroB - but a blanket on the main pulling line will act like a shock absorber if the line were to break. Somewhere around middle ground is where I have always seen it used. For that matter, an old coat or road kill deer will do the same thing.

I picked up 80' of 1" tubular webbing at EMS for about $0.30/ft. I was in the exact situation and wanted to be far away when working the winch. Stuff is rated for 4400#, and didn't break a sweat.

Status
Not open for further replies.