Comforter wood/coal stoves?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

pt0872

Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2006
Carver, Mass
Hello all....

First post but long time lurker.

My wife and I just bought (used) a comforter wood stove. Has flowers on the side and a bird on the front. Other than that we know nothing about it.

Anyone know about these stoves and the heating capcity for them?

Craig put a couple pictures of old ads from them in the gallery. They were built in Lochmere, NH in the mid 1970's.

Comforter 1

Not completely airtight, non-EPA

That ad should give you some info. They were decent, american made cast iron. Probably about 40,000 BTU - what would be called a mid-sized stove. If I find a spec sheet in my old mags I will upload it to wiki and note that here.

Parts should be somewhat available from Woodsmans as it was made in the same state (NH). For some Comforter Trivia, note that Abundant Life - the manufacturer, was a Christian commune....might actually still be, as there was a store by that name for many years after.

AH, here they are: http://www.abundantlifestoves.com/

They probably have parts and a manual.....

My goodness, I am a fountain of useless knowledge! Can't name the stars in a big movie, but can tell you all about Comforter.

I know if I bought a cast iron stove that old, I would expect a total rebuild is required before I ever fired it off.

As an Inspector I would not issue a permit for its install unsless it wer listed and labled. I would also check with your homeowners Insurance company and see if an unlisted stove is insurable, or does it void you policy, if found the cause of any future claim.

I wrote a two primer about purchasing a stove and purchasing a used stove found in the wiki section of Hearth.com
Mostly trying to enducate potential buyers from making un informed purchases. If you need parts to while restoring that stove good luck finding them Most of these companies went out of business 20 or so years ago. Operating an older stove requires a good amount of experience trying to prevent them from over firing the just about impossible it the refactory seals are gone they present a real danger that should not be dissmissed

RE: Age of stove -

It is not always the age, but how the stove was used. Many stoves were used for a few years in 1979-82 and then placed in the garage or left in place with a plant sitting on them since. Also, there is a vast difference as to how stove are put together - the engineering of the tongue and groove, etc.

Elk makes a good point on checking the seams. This should be easy with that stove. Set a decent droplight inside from the top cookplate and turn the light off in the room. You should be able to see if any seams need recaulking.

The Comforter is not like a VC with all those hidden chambers and complicated construction. Most seams can easily be seen and refilled, if needed, from the inside.

BTW, the Comforter was one of the first REAL UL approved stoves. In other words, they used the actual UL labs as opposed to other lab testing to the UL standard.

My guess, from what I know of the line (I sold them for years) is that the stove will probably be in good shape. The castings were very thick and the stove was "short and stout", which meant that cracks and warpage were rare.

More nostagia - the patterns and parts for this stove were made in Eastern Pa. in some of the same founderies that I used for making Upland and other projects I was involved in.

As mentioned, those two sources are likely to have parts....but I doubt you need any. Note also that this stove was not as big of a potential creosote hog as Fishers and other big steel stoves - mostly because of it's compact design and firebox.

It is time for the "antique" license plates for that as it is 25 years old. A real beauty in terms of looks.

PS. Note that the same bird is pictured as part of the Abundant Life Hearth store logo!

Thanks all for the info....

Anyone know the heating capcity of this stove? Got it running right now, pretty warm in here with just a few logs in there....liking it so far.

I knew some of the folks who started the Abundant Life company that designed, produced, and marketed the "Comforter" wood stove back in the early 1970's - a wonderful group of dedicated Christian men and women. The "bird" on the door depicts the Holy Spirit, descending like a dove, and called "the Comforter" in Jesus' discourse in John 16.7 ff. It's a fine stove.

The old Comforters were handsome stoves and great heaters. I would like to know when they went from the oval to round flue outlet, but can't find this addressed in any of the forums. Does anyone know? Was it model specific or introduced in a specific year of manufacture?

Status
Not open for further replies.