Comment on stainless steel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
At a different forum site the following is what a member was told by the dealer. I'm a little confused since there seem to be many posts stating to stay away from stainless steel. The boiler in question here is a wood gun.

"Mine is the SS version. They do have both carbon and stainless steel models. They explained to me that any piece of stainless in the boiler that smoke would touch or have heat exposed to it, it is bordered by water on the other side. They say this keeps the metal stress to a minimum and less prone to cracking. This was the first question i ask them about the stainless steel because i have several people around me with OWB that have cracked and been welded and they were stainless steel."

Does this make sense?? If the dealer really believes/knows this to be true then why offer the same model non stainless?

It depends on the grade of stainless, how it was assembled and welded, and the condition of the water in the boiler as well as operator use and care.

Chlorides can be one issue with stainless. Cracking at welds could be caused by assembly practices or excessive thermal stress for some reason. I know of at least one manufacturer that has switched to 409 stainless for better performance in wood fired use.

There are pros and cons to various grades of stainless. Typically in an open to atmosphere system the stainless should out last carbon steel. Inhibitor chemicals help a lot with steel systems, but need constant replenishing.

Chose a brand of furnace from a dealer and manufacturer that will stand behind the warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.