Replacing the Vigilant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well, actually I am considering a big shuffle. The Defiant in the basement will probably get the axe, my beloved Vigilant will move to the basement and I am contemplating the purchase of a new Encore. My parents have had 2, and are now using a Defiant Encore, which I am very impressed with, since I cannot buy one of those, the Encore is the next best thing.
I heat a 2400 sq foot log cabin, the Vigilant does just a fine job, when it is very cold, sustained, I use the second stove.

I have a couple questions.
as I recall the Encore was available in catalytic and “non-catalytic” versions, I don’t see any mention of it anymore, suggesting it is no longer an option. which is it?
I see that it has an optional fan, where does it mount, and where does it blow? We currently use a muffin fan hanging above the stove which makes a big difference, the mounted fan sounds much tidier.
My parents Encores had issues with cracked tops and warped internals, one of them is easily explained due to misuse from a visitor, long story.
The other if i recall correctly wasn’t that bad off except for the top which cracked, otherwise I believe it just needed an overhaul.
Both were enameled, i don’t have the intention to buy an enameled stove, as personally i don’t care for the look, but were the enameled units more prone to cracking or is this an issue across the model lineup?
Thanks for any input!