Cracked VC Vigilant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AKBurner

Dec 16, 2022
Chugiak AK
I have a VC Vigilant that I purchased from someone 2 years ago. This weekend, my wife cleaned out the stove and started a fire. When the stove reached about 300 degrees it cracked below the door and wrapped around to the bottom. Any options or am I out of luck? Any chance I can run the stove lightly for the rest of this season? A new stove is not in the budget right now but I don’t want to create a safety hazard.
IMG_6702.jpeg
IMG_6701.jpeg

IMG_6701.jpeg

I am guessing it was cleaned out completely without leaving a good bed of ashes. Then had a nice hot fire.
Mine had a decent crack on the bottom also. Ran it for some time like that, until it got retired.
I would say it would be ok, but run at your own risk.

I am guessing it was cleaned out completely without leaving a good bed of ashes. Then had a nice hot fire.
Mine had a decent crack on the bottom also. Ran it for some time like that, until it got retired.
I would say it would be ok, but run at your own risk.
I had play sand in the bottom for the past two years. My wife cleaned out the stove and removed the sand too. I should have just walked out to the shed and replaced the sand but I was lazy and figured it would be fine since it was designed that way. The stove didn’t get that hot though, only about 300-350 when it cracked. It’s such a great stove I hate to get rid of it.

Not sure if there are parts available for them. Scour the internet. I didn't get rid of mine, just sitting in the shed aging, waiting for the new bottom or another place to use it.

Reactions: AKBurner
Is that outside where the leg turns down? If so and it's only external it would burn fine but I'd be worried if it cracked further stove might lean with a fire in it, not good. If I was going to burn it with that crack I'd prop it with brick or steel to support it.

Is that outside where the leg turns down? If so and it's only external it would burn fine but I'd be worried if it cracked further stove might lean with a fire in it, not good. If I was going to burn it with that crack I'd prop it with brick or steel to support it.
Yea and the crack goes through. I’ve supported with brick and putting some cement then sand down. At least to get us through this winter, then I’ll replace for next year.

Reactions: Gearhead660
Needs a replacement bottom, in my opinion. Only option is used. May not have to tear the whole stove down though since it is only held on with cement and corner rods. Tip it on its top to remove bottom. Others may disagree.

Reactions: AKBurner
Needs a replacement bottom, in my opinion. Only option is used. May not have to tear the whole stove down though since it is only held on with cement and corner rods. Tip it on its top to remove bottom. Others may disagree.
I agree long term that’s what needs to happen. Right now I have it supported as a precaution while I look for another stove. The only issue with replacing the bottom is probably cost. I live in AK and shipping that heavy beast is gonna cost a pretty penny. I’ll hang onto it for a while and see if anything comes up though.