VC Vigilant 1977 (likely made in 81) no thermostat questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JackisMe

Aug 25, 2023
NE Pa
I recently picked up a used VC Vigilant. It was missing some parts but for the price i was fine with that. I bought a used thermostat, cover and thermostat door. I went to install the thermostat and it looks like the mounting hole was never drilled out at all. Same for the screwhole that would hold the thermostat cover. Did this stove ever come without a thermostat? Anyone have a good picture of how it mounts? I am guessing it is just drill and tap.

Thanks for any advice!

I would say no. Here is a pic of a recent acquisition. The thermo is screwed into a threaded bump out. The cover is bolted to a threaded screw hole of the left of thermo. In this case, the cover was removed so a spacer could be bolted on for a rear heat shield.

AD15C403-F844-4275-9984-B0D24E3AF6B2.jpeg C6A317C8-C0A9-4418-A7E9-B196136A8BBD.jpeg

Thank you! I got it figured out. It seems that my Vigilant was never drilled and tapped for the thermostat or the cover.

It is now!

Thank you!