Suggestions on Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So for $750 of coal your looking at aprox $900 of already seasoned hardwood.
Could you keep your coal burner and add a woodstove?
Pick and choose what you want to burn based on savings and/or heat output?
Coal for backup if it gets extremely cold?
Don’t forget the electric to run the stoker stove.

Ok…OP didn’t forget. LOL!

Last edited:
Reactions: all night moe
I have thought about that. It would be too expensive to add another chimney and space restriction with a small house. The wood I have available that amount would cost me $450. I have woods to start working on future wood as well. Also the stoker uses quite a bit of electricity. I am thinking about a hand fired to burn both. The good thing is I have time to figure it out.
Easy peasy then. I have a woods also. But my ground isn’t flat, and I need a splitter. I ended up buying wood delivered when it was cheap. My stove is a hand fed coal stove that will burn wood also. I chose it on purpose. It also will move convection air withOUT the use of my blower should the power go out. Coal I drove to get @$500/ton. I usually burn two tons. I also have a fuel oil furnace. Cost me north of $2500+ with fuel oil 6 years ago. I can burn coal for way over $500+ per ton and still not spend north of $2500 like with oil. I purposely chose a stove to burn more than one fuel…so that I can switch with whatever is cheaper.

A Hitzer 245 would work great, but don’t expect wood burning to be economical in that stove, but it will provide you heat and fuel options.

As far as making wood last long between tendings…BK all the way.

I also keep a pre-EPA wood stove and a modern Lopi Liberty for back up wood stove heat. I’m looking for a used BK Princess or King and then I’ll have all my bases covered with stoves to cover based for my parents or other family should the need arise. I find them cheap and them hold onto them for dear life. I refuse to pay $5k for a new Liberty. Mine cost me 4 Ben’s and it’s near new. Have to be patient looking.

Last edited:
I too say, BK all the way. Sell that coal burner to offset some expenses.

C’mon…it’s never free.
I got offered $100 for a truck with logs ...
Do that twice. Spend it on an x-27 and on an electric chainsaw and yes, it's all free

Sell the stoker yes. Well, no. Coal prices going up, coal stove prices going down. Clean it, oil it up, put it away, look for BK…😂

BK all the way for a wood burner that’s the closest thing there is to a hand fed coal stove. For me, at current cost of delivered wood the coal is still king of cheap per million btu…unless you have access to cheap wood, or already have truck to haul, saws to cut, splitters to split the wood. If I had all of that…hands down I’d do the wood until I can’t, then save the coal for that time I can no longer do the wood. Heck, I’ve been stock piling both.

I'll add to the votes for the Blaze King but keep Woodstock as a very close second. Keep in mind the tax credits, which will get you within your budget easily with either one. I wish all companies sold direct to consumer the way Woodstock does.

Thank you for all the replies. I do have many options of getting wood and that's why I'm leaning that way. I do understand having different burners for different occasions such as price changes of different fuels in future or regulation changes by the state. We're only going to be in this house for 3yrs until we move an hour south into PA. Depending on the stove decision I may take it with us and put back the coal stove.

For three years, I would not bother changing it.
Because your first wood will be good enough to burn right when you move...

Yes, agreed. Save your monies, and time processing wood, to make more coin. Put that away for when you move and buy a BK in PA.
Unless, you find a house already sporting a stove .....

Reactions: Hoytman
For three years, I would not bother changing it.
Because your first wood will be good enough to burn right when you move...
I understand. 3 yrs of loud fans is the problem. Wears on us. The wood I have available is seasoned 2yrs already and $150/ full cord. Plus the coal stove uses about $40/month electric with the rates we have.

I understand. 3 yrs of loud fans is the problem. Wears on us. The wood I have available is seasoned 2yrs already and $150/ full cord. Plus the coal stove uses about $40/month electric with the rates we have.
Then maybe a more economical stove would fit the bill? Something like a Drolet?
@begreen seems to be privy on this lineup and it's sister brands.

Sounds like a compelling argument to try out the Encore.

Make sure there are no cracks and that the thermostatic air control is functional. For operational tips, have a chat with Encore owners here. @Woodsplitter67 has a lot of info posted about his Encore.

Reactions: Hoytman
At that price of cords of wood I highly recommend trying the Encore…and if it’s not going to work then I highly recommend a good used stove, modern, pre-EPA doesn’t matter. A more modern wood stove used will be easier on wood and can be found for <$500.00. Just be patient and keep looking the rest of this uear through spring, summer, and early fall. Be a little picky, but not too picky and remember to save your money for the stove that’ll save you the most time, and wood, and also therefore money in the long run, the BK.

You may even find good enough used stove to put the BK purchase off even longer making it easier to save for it. In the end it will be worth it.

I'll give you free wood! We just bought a farm with honey locust (thorns..ouch) and black locust trees. There are poplar and cottonwoods, but those are getting mulched for the soil. Also, huge apricot and plum trees got to go.

Come drop the trees, clean up after yourselves and haul off 4-5 cords of the stuff.

BKVP

I'll give you free wood! We just bought a farm with honey locust (thorns..ouch) and black locust trees. There are poplar and cottonwoods, but those are getting mulched for the soil. Also, huge apricot and plum trees got to go.

Come drop the trees, clean up after yourselves and haul off 4-5 cords of the stuff.

BKVP
too bad you're not nearby