Wood Stove suggestions for new to me 2500 sqft house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

katarn444

Feb 16, 2024
Massachusetts
Hi all,
I have been reading and researching for a while but I have been struggling since I started with very little knowledge or experience.
I am buying a 2500 sq ft home in Massachusetts which was built in the 80's. It is currently heated by an oil fired furnace in the basement. There is no option to switch to gas and dislike oil. I plan to remove the oil fired furnace and install a cold temp (hyperheat) heat pump. This will be our primary source of heat but I would like to install a wood stove in the basement using the flue that will be freed up from removing the oil burner. At this point I do not know the status of the flues or chimney but know it is masonry but not sure if it is lined or not, will figure this out asap. There are two main reasons for wanting a wood stove 1) emergency heat 2) to save money/electricity (rates are quite high in MA.) I have access to a lot of free seasoned Ash and Oak to burn.

Other thoughts
1) Trying to decide between used and new. I like saving money by buying used but am concerned about buying a stove without enough experience. Ie looking for cracks or other issues etc. I like that if I buy new I might be able to take advantage of the tax credits and it will most likely be trouble free

2) I like the look of the older style "box" stoves like a Jotul 118 but this look does not seem to be as popular now. I prefer not to have glass buy could deal with it.

3) Planning to buy in the Spring or Summer to maybe get a better deal

4) Over the next couple of years I plan to do a lot of work to air seal and insulate the house so while I want to get a stove that is the right size I would like to go on the smaller side of the right size.

Questions
1) If I buy used what are your suggestions of correct size, reliable, relatively easy to operate efficient stoves

2) If I buy new it is a little easier to find/buy/research but suggestions here? Would want access to tax credits. Tempted by SBI stoves which I think are Drolet and Englander.

I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions

What type of home is this? Putting a stove in the basement it will be tough to heat the floors above.

Reactions: kcmclellan
What type of home is this? Putting a stove in the basement it will be tough to heat the floors above.
It is a garrison colonial with a large set of stairs leading from the first floor to the basement and an uninsulated basement ceiling. I understand your concern. I plan to eventually insulate the basement walls but at least initially hoping that keeping the basement door open as well as using the furnace in fan only mode will help to move the heat around.

Basement installation is normally tough due to negative pressure.. Fall spring and warm weather days will be challenging. Wood stoves should be more though of as space heaters.. my stove does a great job of heating our home.. if I put it downstairs.. I don't think that Id like the results.. your better off putting it upstairs.. your not saving anything if it doesn't work right

I heat from my basement just fine, the stove is in the finished (and more importantly insulated) half of my basement and is open to the centrally located stairway. I do have to make it too hot for comfort in the basement in order for it to be comfortable upstairs. Without insulation in the basement it becomes much more difficult to heat upstairs from the basement.

Last edited:
I do too, works fine if the situation is right.

I do move air but not thru existing ducts.
See a description of how here

I heated my old home with a wood stove in the basement and it worked great as long as you have a clear path for gravity driven heat to reach the first floor. It will no doubt be warmer in the basement. You should recognize that you will have to install a new flue or have the existing one lined in order to use a wood stove with it

You want something in the 2.5-3+ cu ft. I’d just get a new stove. Research if your current chimney meets code for a insulated liner.

Basement installs do a great job of heating the basement. As supplementary heat you should think where will the coldest rooms be when the heatpump is not running.

Drolet makes the only stoves I know of without glass. But you will like the glass.

recommendations for stoves best value is Drolet. Pacific energy makes a good stove. So does blaze king.

Reactions: cahaak
I have a cape and putting the stove in the basement would not have worked well for us. The main floor with the stove also heats our upstairs 3 bedrooms fine. 1,900 so ft.. Personally a basement install would not be my first choice in a three level house where the majority of the occupants spend the most time on the middle and top floors.

I have 825 sq ft basement containing the stove.
1200 sq ft main floor
And 625 sq ft above that.

All heated with the basement stove. Loosing about 8 F per floor, keeping main floor around 70. Sleeping rooms above that (and one on the main floor with the door closed) are this cooler but we like it that way.

Just got back from a trip. If I had a basement stove it would be awhile for main floor and upstairs to get warm with a basement install. Also in an emergency I would want main floors quickly heated. I always read best level of the house is the main floor which is used the most.

Met a family in NH this weekend from the cape. Said their basement stove does not heat their upstairs well at all.

I heat up my main floor in 3-4 hrs up to 65 F. 🤷‍♂️
Then 3-4 hrs more to reach 70.

I'm fine with that, given that I come home later.in the day anyway. Just light a full load and let r rip for 8 hrs and all is done.

To each their own.

I do note that it's not always possible to get it done right, but the advice to not do it is often by folks who don't have a basement stove....

I refer again to the link I posted above where I describe how I get it done.

I heat up my main floor in 3 hrs. 🤷‍♂️
3 hours in teens and 20’s? Not the case with everyone with a basement install. Glad it works for you. If you had a choice most professionals discourage a basement install Including my installer.

From woodheat.org “. We strongly discourage the idea of putting a wood stove in a basement“

I have no problem getting heat from my basement up to the main and second floor, each situation and house is different giving different results. What works for me won't necessarily work for you.

3 hours in teens and 20’s? Not the case with everyone with a basement install. Glad it works for you. If you had a choice most professionals discourage a basement install Including my installer.

From woodheat.org “. We strongly discourage the idea of putting a wood stove in a basement“
Read how I use a fan,. sucking air from the living room floor and depositing it on the basement floor, pushing the warmest air up the stairs that are central in the home.

Yes, for me it's ideal. Small rack (1-2 wks worth) in the garage, door to the stove room ( insulated), all dirt stays downstairs.

It won't work for everyone, but I posit that it can work for most.

Not done this in the teens, but done this at 21 F.

Read how I use a fan,. sucking air from the living room floor and depositing it on the basement floor, pushing the warmest air up the stairs that are central in the home.

Yes, for me it's ideal. Small rack (1-2 wks worth) in the garage, door to the stove room ( insulated), all dirt stays downstairs.

It won't work for everyone, but I posit that it can work for most.

Not done this in the teens, but done this at 21 F.
That’s great it works for you and @kborndale. I respectfully disagree it can work for most hence why is it not the preferred option with professionals? Why is woodheat.org against it? Lots of variables in a basement.

So if you were advising a new stove owner and they had the option of a main floor install you would recommend the basement?

Last edited:
No, that depends on the circumstances, a big part of which in addition to moving the heat, is the level of air sealing at the upper floors.

Saying it will work for most doesn't mean it's the best for most.

Thank you all for the comments. It seems like the basement thing is controversial but I am willing to give it a shot, if it works great, if not I will make a new plan. The chimney is located at the extreme far end of the house in a room between the main house and the garage. I think I would struggle to move the heat from this location although yes probably easier than the basement. For other reasons, such as safety (have little kids) and cleanliness (ease of keeping wood out of house) I would like to try the basement.
Yes first thing I will evaluate the chimney and flue situation.
Thanks EbS-P for your thoughts on actual stoves. Any other recommendations/thoughts on whether to go new or used and which stove based on that?

Reactions: Wildflush
I’m probably biased but really like Pacific Energy. Great Customer service, quality product, easy breathing and like how my glass stays clean due to an air wash that actually works.