My Final Four (Stove) Bracket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Maint1

Mar 30, 2024
WNC
I'm looking to replace my current stove (Quadrafire 4300) with a new one. I am going with a Catalyst stove. I have it narrowed down to BK Princess vs. BK Ashford 30.2 and then a Hearthstone Mansfield vs. Woodstock Progress Hybrid. I grew up in a house with a BK King that my parents have used since 85. Great stove. As far as looks, the soapstones are hard to beat. The local dealer here has the BK's and Mansfield. He will give 15% off an Ashford right now. The QF is a good stove, but I just love the idea of the cat stoves. We heat with wood and a heat pump as well. The stove is in a 800 sq ft. finished basement with 1500 more ft. upstairs. Roughly 29 feet of 6 " flue. 9 foot ceiling in basement, then on to double wall insulated pipe. This is my first newby post so please bare with me. Any insights will be appreciated.

What is the goal of changing? Of the listed options only the BK is a true catalytic stove. The others are hybrids.

Reactions: Maint1
Is this a straight up and out install, up and 90 into a masonry chimney or up and 90 into an exterior metal chimney system? I ask because of the influence of cold air to the chimney (draft).

BKVP

What is the goal of changing? Of the listed options only the BK is a true catalytic stove. The others are hybrids.
Longer burn times. Knowing what a BK can do from watching my parents BK over the years. I like the mechanical control on the BK's as well.

Reactions: webby3650
Is this a straight up and out install, up and 90 into a masonry chimney or up and 90 into an exterior metal chimney system? I ask because of the influence of cold air to the chimney (draft).

BKVP
No straight shot. From stove, up with two 45's to the double wall Insulated. Right now I have single wall from stove to the double, but plan on going to double wall (two 45's) with a flue damper. Then up to the double wall insulated on out to the cap. All 6".

Ok, so let's get nomenclature sorted out. Single wall is stove pipe. Double wall is stove pipe with an air gap between the two pipes.

Class A in either insulated or air cooled & insulated. Insulated is best, air cooled not so much.

How many feet of vertical rise before the double wall stove by first 45?

Is the double wall going to wall thimble and then connected to Class A? If yes, how many feet of Class A will be used?

Are you able to build a soffit around the Class A to help insulate it from cold air?

BKVP

Ok, so let's get nomenclature sorted out. Single wall is stove pipe. Double wall is stove pipe with an air gap between the two pipes.

Class A in either insulated or air cooled & insulated. Insulated is best, air cooled not so much.

How many feet of vertical rise before the double wall stove by first 45?

Is the double wall going to wall thimble and then connected to Class A? If yes, how many feet of Class A will be used?

Are you able to build a soffit around the Class A to help insulate it from cold air?

BKVP
My bad, 6ft. of stove pipe with two 45's (going to change to double wall, and possible flue damper). Then into class A in a chase for 10 ft. Then 13 ft through the open attic with two 45s of class A out the roof to the cap. We always burn good dry hard woods. I actually brushed the chimney yesterday. I had nearly a 1 1/2 gallons of creosote since the fall.

You should post pics of the entire venting system. Kinda confused myself! Maybe just me. Seeing it will help with advice.

IMG_0954.jpgIMG_0953.jpgIMG_0946.jpgIMG_0950.jpgIMG_0951.jpg

Ok, here is pics of my runs of pipe/flue. First pic is single wall stove pipe w/two 45’s that go into ceiling box, about 6 1/2’. then the rest is class A double wall. Through 18’ of floor joists, then 8’ of chase surrounded by sheetrock. Then the flue enters the attic which is vented. Got about 9 1/2 ‘ with two 45’s befpre it goes through the roof. Then about 3’ outside to chimney cap. Please forgive my junk!

Last edited:
A few things. I see creosote debris laying on the insulation, how did it make its way out of the pipe? You have to get that celeouse away from that pipe! If you had a flue fire the house is toast! It should have an insulation shield, if not you could make one out of sheet metal.
If you notice the Mansfield design, the cats sit directly below the flue collar. Clogged up cats are a constant problem for us. They are only to clean up the exhaust, not to help heat your home. Something to think about. Go with a proven cat design. Blaze King is the winner here. Hands down..

Class A generally needs 2" clearance from combustibles (look at the sticker that should still be on there). So the insulation is a problem.
Single wall pipe needs 18". So what's behind the brick. Drywall (paper facing), studs? THat's a problem. Even for double wall which needs 6" to combustibles.

Class A generally needs 2" clearance from combustibles (look at the sticker that should still be on there). So the insulation is a problem.
Single wall pipe needs 18". So what's behind the brick. Drywall (paper facing), studs? THat's a problem. Even for double wall which needs 6" to combustibles.
I'll fix the insulation around class A pipe. Block is behind the brick. I'm planning on double wall when I replace the QF.

Man, that Quad 4300 still looks good, only thing better was the 5700, ha. Lost topic here, yeah the pipe needs some work done, good luck with whatever you choose. Stay with good dry wood.

Man, that Quad 4300 still looks good, only thing better was the 5700, ha. Lost topic here, yeah the pipe needs some work done, good luck with whatever you choose. Stay with good dry wood.
It's been a great stove, just want to go with a cat. Which I believe I've narrowed down to the Princess or Ashford . I love the looks of soapstone, but grew up with a BK in the house. Yes, before next burn I,m going to fix insulation around class A in attic and go with double wall out of the stove.

If you cut some of that insulation back, you can install a shield that will keep it clear. It should look similar to this, except I have poor insulation in an old house. Some of the rafters have pine bark on them.

IMG_3795.jpeg IMG_3796.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Maint1 and begreen
It's been a great stove, just want to go with a cat. Which I believe I've narrowed down to the Princess or Ashford . I love the looks of soapstone, but grew up with a BK in the house. Yes, before next burn I,m going to fix insulation around class A in attic and go with double wall out of the stove.
If you grew up with a Princess or King, go for the Princess. The experience of a BK with a really deep firebox means Princess is the one go with....

BKVP