Compact stove for 2000 sqft colonial

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smirnov3

Feeling the Heat
Feb 7, 2006
Eastern Ma
I am toying with the idea of buying a wood stove, but I don't have much space, so I was wondering what people would recommend.

I don't care about being able to see the fire - I just want the smallest (free standing) stove that will heat a 2000 sq ft colonial that is easy to operate.

I would probably be lighting this up just for the evenings / weekends.

Normally I would be thinking of a 3 cu ft stove for MA winters in a 2000 sq ft house, but if only evenings and weekends, then a smaller 2 cu ft stove might do if the place is well insulated. How large is the room it will be in. How open (or not) is the floor plan to this room?

Rather than the smallest stove, perhaps consider one with the close clearances. Some Napoleons, Quads and PE stoves have low clearances to combustibles. This can reduce the hearth size. Would this be a corner or wall installation? If wall, then a shallower box like the Jotuls or Morsos might work better.

Status
Not open for further replies.