Concerned About Discolouration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

J.S.

Jan 8, 2017
Ottawa
Hello:

I just had a Pacific Energy Super 27 stove installed in November. I wanted to use it as a way to help supplement our main heating system during really cold days (-10 or below).

My concern is I have noticed some discolouration on the top of our stove. I am wondering if I have been burning the fireplace too hot? I have never seen it turn red. If so I am not sure how since I monitor the air flow and have it turned down once the wood is burning nicely. I do not believe I am overfilling the stove (2-3 pieces at a time of hard wood).
IMG_1220.JPG

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am quite concerned at the moment.

Thank you,

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
It's normal when paint cures for it to dull out. If the rest of the stove top got to the same temp as that discolored spot it would all match. Do you have a way to monitor stove top temp like a infrared thermometer? I betcha if you checked it the dull area is the hot spot on that stove.

I wouldn't be concerned. I have the same 'butt print' on my summit. I burn hot too but try not to exceed 700 stovetop.....by much.

IMG_1218.JPG

Thank you for the prompt replies. I feel much better. I ordered a stove top thermometer as well as a flu pipe one. I think it will help me gauge how well I am burning the wood and warn me if I am going to high with the temps. The last thing I want to do is damage the stove. I have to admit I am very impressed with this model. While my experience with a stove is limited I am enjoying the experience of discovering all the nuances involved. This seems to be a great community to be part of.

Thanks again

A wise move getting both thermometers. Peace of mind and performance. With a thermometer you see the real temps no guessing. I find it invaluable when I'm really wanting to push the stove for some heat. Like this winter because it has been so cold, and when it's cold out I need those btus. I can't be staring at flames wondering if my stovetop is 500, 600, or 700.