concrete volume ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rustynut

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2008
mid mich
Anyone know the cubic feet of a bag of ready mix concrete ? I'm thinking they are 40# bags ?
or how many 40# bags to a cubic yard ?
rn

They are usually 80 lb. bags. A visit to the Sacrete website would probably tell you how many bags per yard.

concrete mix is usually 60 or 80 lbs
on the bag they give you square feet x thickness is x number of bags
one cubic yard is 81 square feet at 4 inches thick
60 60lb bags
46 80lb bags
equal 1 cubic yard

I believe the bags themselves are one cubic foot. If you are going to figure out how many bags you need to make one cubic yard (27 cubic feet), then you need to first decide how much sand and gravel you are using. The ratios of sand and gravel vary slightly, depending on what you are doing. A "6 bag mix" would be 6 bags of cement, 9 bags of sand, and 12 bags of gravel, for a total of 27 cubic feet. Check w/ your concrete supplier on those ratios; it has been a while. john PS: I just re-read your post; OOPS. I was thinking you were asking about CEMENT bags. Sorry about that, but if you mix it all yourself (cheaper), the above info may be of help.

It may be cheaper but if you do not have a mixer and a heavy duty truck to move the concrete, your much better off paying and having it delivered........

60 bags at 60lbs is 3600lbs!!! (oh my aching back.)

I run a small concrete batch plant in maine. You need 3200lbs dry mix to make 1 yard 517 cement 1632 stone 1552 sand.
My company charges for 1 yd plus $60 small load fee

good info there guys
was just wondering if 1 bag equaled 1 cubic foot
that would make sense and i'll check on the bag and web for more info
I have used a place that sold concrete by the yard in a towable trailer.
Reasonable price and that worked out well.
Just a bit out of range now a days.
Need to call around and see if I can find one closer.
Thanks
rn

From my days working in a hardware store (about 15 years ago) I think those bags of premixed concrete were 0.55 cubic feet. I remember a customer came in and wanted to get enough for a yard and we calculated it to be about 50 or 60 bags!

Sometimes you have no choice due to site access but to use the bags. At least be sure to find a mixer. I helped do an interior slab using wheelbarrows from a truck that had three bins and water. One bin for sand, cement, and gravel. The truck mixed the concrete as needed and could dump into the wheelbarrows. You only paid for what you used but the cost was higher than premixed. No setting time issues though.

Rusty, 1 bag does not equal 1 cu ft.

Depending on the specific gravity of the material 1 cu ft usually weights between 110-115#.

Ready-mixed concrete prices in West Michigan are about $100 cu yd with the same $60 small load charge.

Good luck, have fun.

I just looked at an 80 lb. bag of quick crete. It claims to make 2/3 of a cubic foot. Seems small, but that's what it says.

bewolf says quick crete is about 2/3 cubic ft per 80 lb bag.
thats what i was looking for (ballpark)
thanks
rn

Status
Not open for further replies.