Condar Catalytic 8" Thermometer for Fireview?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

akennyd

Hearth Supporter
Aug 19, 2009
North Carolina
Any fireview owners using a cat temp thermometer?

I read in another thread that the 8" probe would be the one that I need for my fireview. I've looked at the Condar site and they don't list an 8" catalytic thermometer, only up to 6.5." I think that one will be a little too short. I don't think Woodstock lists one at all anymore but I haven't questioned them on it...yet.

Thanks for any input,

Kenny
John 3:16

Give them a call, I bought one from Woodstock 3 years ago, they should still sell them.

Thanks Todd,

I emailed Condar today and they still have the 8" available even though they don't show it on their website (that I could find anyway).

I haven't contacted Woodstock yet.

Todd, do you have the 2" face or the 1 1/2" face on yours?

Kenny

I ruined mine after about a month by scraping the crud off with sandpaper, haven't bought a replacement since. :red:

If you get the chance ask them if they make one that is angled up 90 degrees so you can read it from the front of the stove. I never liked it cuz it was hard for me to wiggle around to the back of the stove to take a look.

Do these probes tell you when it is time to engage the bypass? Or are they used to monitor the cat once it's activated. Reason I'm asking is that I do'nt think air hot air passes across the probe (on its way out the flue) until the bypass is closed. Right?

MyFyrByrd said:
Do these probes tell you when it is time to engage the bypass? Or are they used to monitor the cat once it's activated. Reason I'm asking is that I do'nt think air hot air passes across the probe (on its way out the flue) until the bypass is closed. Right?

Once the probe is up to 500 the cat should be up to temp to engage and then the probe will monitor the outflow temp. When I had mine I noticed the probe temp came up to 500 well before the stove temp reached 250. Now I monitor my internal flue temps more than the stove top for engaging the cat. I feel pretty safe engaging the cat with a stove top temp of 200 as long as the flue temps are over 500. I still wait 10-15 minutes during reloads to drive off moisture in the wood no matter what the temps are.

MyFyrByrd said:

Depends on stove design. Most top mount cats get enough heat through them to use the probe as an indicator of bypass engagement. A down draft style like a VC Encore won't. Did some work on an Encore this week for a friend and the probe I installed didn't even budge until the bypass was closed.

Todd,

I will try to ask them about an angled one. I shouldn't have too much trouble reading mine in my installation but it will require going to the back of the stove to do it. I had wondered about mounting a small mirror to make it easier to read. I'll have to see...

BTW and IMHO, a cat probe seems to me to be a more reliable way to make sure the cat is still in the proper temp range with the lag caused by the heat retention of the soapstone top. Anyway, I think it will make this inexperienced wood stove operator more confident that he isn't ruining his new stove's cat..

Kenny

Status
Not open for further replies.