Q&A Condo with no gas, but I have a 7" stove flue in my kitchen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I live in a condo built in 1974 with no gas and a double oven range that is flueless. It draws air from above and vents it out the back. The wall behind my kitchen stove is available and I could break through the wall and hook up to the unused flue, but I have some concerns:

I am not sure if the flue can handle the heat, although I know an oven gets pretty hot. Could I insulate or line it?

Answer:

There is no telling exactly what that 7" flue was made for...but chances are that it IS NOT a regular class "A" chimney, which is what is needed for ANY appliance that burns wood. The only way to know for sure is to have it inspected by an expert, such as a certified chimney sweep or experienced fireplace/stove installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.