Conduit instead of rods?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

mj5001

Oct 15, 2011
United States
I have a bunch of 1/2" electrical conduit -- steel, not plastic.

Seems to me that using it would be fine instead of these "chimney rods"?

Just attach the brush some way (no problem) and when you're ready for another 10' just screw on a coupling and attach it.

Conduit is VERY rigid -- these rods I see don't look that substantial.

Fine for a straight shot -- granted a bend would be a problem.

The only downside is that they would be heavier than the fiberglass rods. But if your shoulders can handle it, go for it.

MJ5 said:
I have a bunch of 1/2" electrical conduit -- steel, not plastic.

Seems to me that using it would be fine instead of these "chimney rods"?

Just attach the brush some way (no problem) and when you're ready for another 10' just screw on a coupling and attach it.

Conduit is VERY rigid -- these rods I see don't look that substantial.

Fine for a straight shot -- granted a bend would be a problem.

Rigid conduit is gonna get heavy if you have a tall chimney.. Make sure it doesn't unscrew as you'll have a tough time getting the conduits out if they become unthreaded and the pipes fall down the chimney..

Ray

I too believe the weight would be the biggest issue. Also, I would think pushing a brush with something that solid in a liner with any kind of bend at all may be asking for trouble. You may end of damaging the liner. Something more flexible will allow the brush to take the path of least resistance and curve down the liner, but what do I know I have not cleaned a liner or even burned my wood stove thats arriving Thursday.

I do my chimney with 6 lengths of rod from the top (30+ft). It's a straight shot, but even still, I think I'd have a much easier time with conduit. 6 lengths of rod has an awful lot of flex in it, and getting it thru that last length or two has the rods bouncing off the chimney with all the flex. As said, just make sure it won't come apart in there and you're unscrewing the piece that is out of the chimney and not the one that's in it - learned that the hard way. 'Oh crap!'.

MJ5 said:
yeah -- I think on a liner you would be taking a chance -- I was thinking more of a tile flue.

Oh I was thinking liner...for clay tiles I would think it would work great as long as its not too heavy.

DO IT!!

I use a couple sections of 12' 1" rigid steel conduit to clean all types of stright vents and chimneys. No trouble. I connect ti with 1/4"x 28 though bolts and wing-nuts. Works like a champ.

I mentioned it to a co-worker last year. He put his together out of heavy wall PVC plumbing pipe with threaded connectors. Very nice. I don't think I'd trust the PVC in really cold weather but then again I don't let the stove go out in really cold weather. ; )

ATB,
Mike P

zzr7ky said:
DO IT!!

I use a couple sections of 12' 1" rigid steel conduit to clean all types of stright vents and chimneys. No trouble. I connect ti with 1/4"x 28 though bolts and wing-nuts. Works like a champ.

I mentioned it to a co-worker last year. He put his together out of heavy wall PVC plumbing pipe with threaded connectors. Very nice. I don't think I'd trust the PVC in really cold weather but then again I don't let the stove go out in really cold weather. ; )

ATB,
Mike P

I have seen 10' conduits but never a 12' conduit.. You either have 10' conduit lengths or you are using pieces of galv. cut to 12' length..

Ray

Don't use PVC. It will break in cold conditions. Don't ask me how I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.