Confession time: Old vs. New

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny chaos

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 10, 2008
Rochester,ny
A fella was just here buying some straw and we got talkin' woodstoves. To keep it simple, he took the new one out and put the old one back in. He said it wouldn't burn as long or put out as much heat.
Anybody else care to confess?

Hmmm. Maybe one of the following:
Couldn't get it to draft correctly
Was a much smaller firebox than he was used to
It was a self fullfilling prophecy

Methinks he should have stopped by here *before* buying the new stove. But some guys never ask for directions.

We'd never go back to a non EPA stove ...the new one gets hotter and uses less wood, what more can you ask for. If anything it'll be a coal stove.

I've heard this before and I think the older air tight stoves did burn longer since you could cut off the air unlike the new EPA stoves. The other side of this is more smoke, creosote and less efficiency.

Burn longer? Yes, due to being airtight and you could close the intake off. More heat? well this is dependent on the firebox size but equal sized stoves that are each at the same temp should be putting out the same heat.

The most important question was the relative size of stove old vs. new. I would buy his argument going from a 4 CF stove to a 1.4 CF stove. Both burn time and heat output are seriously effected by firebox size in all stoves.

kenny chaos said:
A fella was just here buying some straw and we got talkin' woodstoves. To keep it simple, he took the new one out and put the old one back in. He said it wouldn't burn as long or put out as much heat.
Anybody else care to confess?

My napoleon had me thinking this way when I replaced the fisher with it. I got to see the BK in action which made me gamble the second time. I finally did hit the jackpot. :bug:

I feel like I'm the social experiment in my area. There is 2 other people in the area that I know of, that have modern stoves but they are both old and don't get out much to tell others about them.

Everybody else is afraid to make a change.

Apples to apples. I replaced a 30 y/o Lopi M530 with its direct descendant, a brand new Lopi Liberty, last year. No way I'd want the M530 back. Rick

We used to burn an old Glenwood Parlor stove up in Phippsburg Maine very nice stove and put out good heat but was not air tight and was about maybe 60 years old when retired.
Funny we moved to southern NH in the early 70,s and a local Hardware store had a similar Parlor stove but it ended up being low quality and only lasted about 4 years.

I've thought quite often about whether or not to replace my 21 year old with a new one. I've been eyeing the Jotul inserts. I'm just really skeptical about the heat output. Look, I realize my stove isn't as friendly to the environment. And I know I could go through less wood each season. But this 4-and-a-half cubic foot son-of-a-gun can COOK :coolgrin: I can seriously raise the room temps ten degrees in half an hour. Damn thing could power a 747, betcha :mad:

brooktrout said:
I've thought quite often about whether or not to replace my 21 year old with a new one. I've been eyeing the Jotul inserts. I'm just really skeptical about the heat output. Look, I realize my stove isn't as friendly to the environment. And I know I could go through less wood each season. But this 4-and-a-half cubic foot son-of-a-gun can COOK :coolgrin: I can seriously raise the room temps ten degrees in half an hour. Damn thing could power a 747, betcha :mad:

I can understand. It is hard to quit something that has met and exceeded expiations for so long.

savageactor7 said:
We'd never go back to a non EPA stove ...the new one gets hotter and uses less wood, what more can you ask for. If anything it'll be a coal stove.

Ditto that.

I think if you compare old vs new stoves with similar fire box sizes, the new wins in all areas......hands down!

My in-laws used to burn wet driftwood in an old fisher stove. I'm not sure that would work too well in a new epa stove.

The only thing I'd replace my Oslo with, would be a top loading Oslo (I'm being critical)
My Family has used alot of boat archors in the past, the 2 stoves I used to enjoy running was a VC Resolute toploading cat and a old Jotul F3.

The worst stove I have ever used was my old Russo that came with my house. It used more wood than my Oslo and was half the size. That stove was never "really" meant to burn wood I can tell you that.
If I lost a bet and had to use a "stove from the past" it would be our Old VC Resolute toploader......still not my Oslo, but top on my list of "has beens"

WoodButcher

How old was this guy? Not trying to attack anyone personally, but I generally find that old people and new technology just aren't a good match.

Case in point - I spent a good 5-7 minutes on the phone last night trying to get my 66 year old mother to actually find the address bar in her web browser and type in a URL. One of her favorite bookmarks got deleted and all she knows is click on the big blue "e" to "get to the internet" then click on "favorites" to see the complete list of all web pages that are on the internet. After 10 years, I've given up trying to explain in any more detail. It took her a few days to get used to the fact that when the mouse ran to the edge of the mouse pad, it was perfectly OK to pick the mouse up, move it to the center of the pad, drop it, then continue to push it in the direction she wanted to move the cursor.

Then there are the monthly calls from my co worker, "Now how do I attach a file to an email again?" (try Insert > File) "OK...where is my file?" (well, it's your computer...where did you put it? Is it under "C: where you store every file you've ever had for the past 5 years?" Or from my boss..."They told me my laptop needs a new hard drive...what does the "hard drive" actually do?"

I must even admit myself, I don't know -or care- about 1/2 the stuff my cell phone does. I can call out, receive calls and send/receive a text message now and then. But most anything else is a long list of clicks and menu selections that I don't care to go through!

Anyway, I digress.....

Cozy- One needs the patience of a saint to deal with that stuff. My aunt believes everything that she gets in an unsolicited email short of Nigerian scams, and forwards it all. Half the times I point her to a Snopes.com page, otherwise I just don't have the energy.

On stoves- there have been a few folks that provide direct evidence for your point here.

There is simply no comparison between my non-epa old PE insert with a 2.0 cu.ft firebox and my new Kodiak epa insert with a 2.5 cu.ft firebox. The "bear" puts out twice the heat and uses less wood. (providing the wood is nice and dry). Easy learning curve.

Oh, and I`m 62 :coolsmirk:

Went from a 1985 Vc Vigilant to a Hearthstone Mansfield. No way no how would I go back to the smoke dragon. New stove is way way better to operate and burns so much cleaner.

This guy like others said bought a new junk stove or just did not understand how to operate it.

Confess = Don't have time or patience to learn new trick

Depends on your outlook.

I've just done my 2 "paint curing" burns with my New Country ST310 that replaced my 29yr old "Jumbo Moe".

With the old stove , I could drive it precisely by instinct - pice of wood here, turn the air supply a liitle this way etc until it was like setting a thermostat.

I'm pscyched about learning to drive this one as well but differntly.

cozy heat said:
How old was this guy? Not trying to attack anyone personally, but I generally find that old people and new technology just aren't a good match.

Case in point - I spent a good 5-7 minutes on the phone last night trying to get my 66 year old mother to actually find the address bar in her web browser and type in a URL. One of her favorite bookmarks got deleted and all she knows is click on the big blue "e" to "get to the internet" then click on "favorites" to see the complete list of all web pages that are on the internet. After 10 years, I've given up trying to explain in any more detail. It took her a few days to get used to the fact that when the mouse ran to the edge of the mouse pad, it was perfectly OK to pick the mouse up, move it to the center of the pad, drop it, then continue to push it in the direction she wanted to move the cursor.

Then there are the monthly calls from my co worker, "Now how do I attach a file to an email again?" (try Insert > File) "OK...where is my file?" (well, it's your computer...where did you put it? Is it under "C: where you store every file you've ever had for the past 5 years?" Or from my boss..."They told me my laptop needs a new hard drive...what does the "hard drive" actually do?"

I must even admit myself, I don't know -or care- about 1/2 the stuff my cell phone does. I can call out, receive calls and send/receive a text message now and then. But most anything else is a long list of clicks and menu selections that I don't care to go through!

Anyway, I digress.....

Holy Crap. I do have a twin brother. :coolsmile:

Adios Pantalones said:
Cozy- One needs the patience of a saint to deal with that stuff. My aunt believes everything that she gets in an unsolicited email short of Nigerian scams, and forwards it all. Half the times I point her to a Snopes.com page, otherwise I just don't have the energy.

On stoves- there have been a few folks that provide direct evidence for your point here.

AP - I think we are cousins, because your aunt sounds just like my mom. I've tryed the same approach with Snopes, but it doesn't seem to sink in. Sometimes I am embarassed with some of the crap they forward to everyone in their address book.

Status
Not open for further replies.