Confused about a chimney fire - Hampton HI300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able to squeeze soot eater in between them just a PIA is all. Which way do you hammer the tube over?
I don't think it makes a difference, but better check the manual. I hammered it from right to left to release it.

Does a soot eater make that bend pretty well from below? I hate going up on my metal roof.
yes it does. even with the tubes in. and cleans better than any brush IMO

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Wanted to update this thread, because everyone was so helpful. We had the good folks at Atlantic Chimney out of Easton come out and take a look. Joey's opinion was that the smoke was from the reload, and that the barometric pressure was keeping the smoke close to the ground, which is what freaked my wife out. He also ran a video camera down the chimney, which we plugged via USB into my computer, and he took me on a tour of my chimney. Simply put, after three full winters of burning regularly (if not continuously), my stainless steel liner looked, well, brand new. There was no chimney fire.

However, there is some damage to the stainless steel liner, not from any fire, but from the overly-aggressive fire department that shoved a brush down the chimney which, according to my wife, they apparently tamped down with some kind of steel rod. Two tears in the top of the liner right up by the chimney cap. Chimney guy is crafting a stainless band aid for the tears, and will give it the CSIA certified stamp of approval once he puts the patch in place. He said I was lucky I didn't have a hole in my roof from the volunteer firefighters who can be, well, let's call it exuberant.

Thanks everyone, burn on.

Wow, what a story! Glad everything and everyone is okay!

Two tears in the top of the liner right up by the chimney cap. Chimney guy is crafting a stainless band aid for the tears, and will give it the CSIA certified stamp of approval once he puts the patch in place.

Good thing to know they can be patched safely.

We had a nat gas leak when we installed our new cooking stove in January of 2011, the old shutoff valve coming out of the kitchen floor broke off when we slid the new stove into place.

That sounds like the text book example of why DIY'ers should not install gas appliances.:)

However, there is some damage to the stainless steel liner, not from any fire, but from the overly-aggressive fire department that shoved a brush down the chimney which, according to my wife, they apparently tamped down with some kind of steel rod. Two tears in the top of the liner right up by the chimney cap.
Sounds like another good reason to start cleaning your own chimney.
Is there some reason why you can't get up on the roof and sweep your chimney? Sounds like the guys from the fire department had no problem getting up there.

That sounds like the text book example of why DIY'ers should not install gas appliances.:)

It did work out well though because as I was told by the gas co, the way the valve broke it had signs of flaws is the casting that could have just broke or started leaking on its own. Would have been a bad deal if no one was home or we were asleep, as opposed to standing right there.

Certainly must have been a precarious situation you faced. Makes one think how to react under a similar situation. Working with gas/propane one tends to rely on those shut-offs at the appliance. Prolly the only thing to maybe do different or consider not doing unless it's really necessary is calling the authorities, (gas company, fire dept.) so readily. Especially considering the extra unnecessary damage they might cause, if you feel confident repairing/ remedying the problem yourself (or know how best to have it repaired) once the immediate danger (turning off the gas or assuring yourself there is no chimney fire) is removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.