Confused Bout New Bar Suggestions - Bailey's vs Oregon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlankBlankBlank

Minister of Fire
Oct 12, 2011
PA
Been lookin at getting chisel chain for my Echo CS-400. Also thinkin bout gettin 2nd bar. Used Bailey's "Bar Selector" and Oregon's "Selector Guide". See images. Oregon's site suggests bars/chain with 62 drive links. Bailey's suggests bars/chains with 72 drive links. Confused. If Bailey's is correct then seems odd that Oregon would not also suggest these options.

My stock Echo bar came with 62 drive link chain.

Anyone got some explanations?

Advance thanks.

Attachments

• Oregon Bar Chain Results.jpg
    Oregon Bar Chain Results.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 586
  • Bailey's Bar Results.jpg
    Bailey's Bar Results.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 615
The 72 Link Bar is for .325 chain and the 62 link is 3/8 (.375) chain. There will be more links per given length with .325 chain over 3/8.

Yep, those pitches don't match.

CS400 comes standard with 3/8 Low Profile (3/8 LP) drive sprocket on powerhead, 3/8 LP bar (pitch of sprocket on bar tip), and 3/8 LP chain. When it comes to pitch, ALL THREE MUST MATCH.

Possible explanation? Sometimes saws will be sold with different pitch & gauge standards in different regions, so there may also be .325 pitch setups for the CS400. This is indeed the case for the Stihl MS290.

MasterMech said:
The 72 Link Bar is for .325 chain and the 62 link is 3/8 (.375) chain. There will be more links per given length with .325 chain over 3/8.

Thanks for pointing this out. Still seems odd that Oregon does not provide the same option that Bailey's offers on their site, or vice-versa for that matter.

TreePointer said:
Yep, those pitches don't match.

CS400 comes standard with 3/8 Low Profile (3/8 LP) drive sprocket on powerhead, 3/8 LP bar (pitch of sprocket on bar tip), and 3/8 LP chain. When it comes to pitch, ALL THREE MUST MATCH.

Possible explanation? Sometimes saws will be sold with different pitch & gauge standards in different regions, so there may also be .325 pitch setups for the CS400. This is indeed the case for the Stihl MS290.

Thanks for pointing it out. As far as different pitches, is there any benefit to one pitch over another? Wonder why different regions would have different set-ups? Reminds me when car makers will have one oil filter, etc. for cars manufactured during the first half of a year and another for cars manufactured during the second half of the same year.

As far as 3/8 LP goes, I've only seen semi-chisel teeth. I don't think a full chisel version is made.

Well, I think that I solved my own confusion (in part). I noticed on Oregon's "Selector Guide" an option for Echo CS-400EVL. When choosing this option over the plain CS-400, the options are the same as the Bailey's "Bar Selector". Since my drive sprocket is 3/8 (.375) and not .325, the Bailey's options would not work for my saw.

In general, larger pitches take larger bites and therefore, will make faster cuts. However, as the pitch is increased, you will eventually need a more powerful saw to pull it effectively (and smoothly) through wood. For your 40cc saw, stick with 3/8 low profile.

Besides milling, carving, and other professional reasons, you will generally see 3/8LP chain on <=40-45cc saws. You will see .325 on 50cc saws and smaller, and you will see regular 3/8 pitch on 60cc saws and larger.

Now here's the exception to the general rule--what some call the "crossover" range. You will see both .325 and 3/8 come standard on 50-60cc saws.

TreePointer said:
In general, larger pitches take larger bites and therefore, will make faster cuts. However, as the pitch is increased, you will eventually need a more powerful saw to pull it effectively (and smoothly) through wood. For your 40cc saw, stick with 3/8 low profile.

Besides milling, carving, and other professional reasons, you will generally see 3/8LP chain on <=40-45cc saws. You will see .325 on 50cc saws and smaller, and you will see regular 3/8 pitch on 60cc saws and larger.

Now here's the exception to the general rule--what some call the "crossover" range. You will see both .325 and 3/8 come standard on 50-60cc saws.

TreePointer, thanks for this useful info. So many variables.

WoodNStuff said:
Well, I think that I solved my own confusion (in part). I noticed on Oregon's "Selector Guide" an option for Echo CS-400EVL. When choosing this option over the plain CS-400, the options are the same as the Bailey's "Bar Selector". Since my drive sprocket is 3/8 (.375) and not .325, the Bailey's options would not work for my saw.

IMPORTANT: Note that 3/8LP pitch is not the same as 3/8 (.375) pitch.

TreePointer said:
WoodNStuff said:

IMPORTANT: Note that 3/8LP pitch is not the same as 3/8 (.375) pitch.

Got it.

I don't think you will like that saw with anything but the semi chisel.

I was tripped up with this same problem, and I as do most of my cutting in the fall the problem held over for a year with a non fitting bar and chain combo. Baileys at first tried talking me into changing out my sprocket, but that would make me swapping back and forth to use my other chains. So I said no to that, and they took the bad stuff back and sent the right stuff and all worked out great. I feared a years time, and open packages might be a problem, but nope. Great customer service is all I received.

jcjohnston said:
I was tripped up with this same problem, and I as do most of my cutting in the fall the problem held over for a year with a non fitting bar and chain combo. Baileys at first tried talking me into changing out my sprocket, but that would make me swapping back and forth to use my other chains. So I said no to that, and they took the bad stuff back and sent the right stuff and all worked out great. I feared a years time, and open packages might be a problem, but nope. Great customer service is all I received.

Glad to hear you had good luck with Bailey's.

WoodNStuff said:
wkpoor said:

Do you mean the saw lacks the cc's to pull full chisel?
I don't want to answer this for him, but 18" on a 40cc saw is pushing it. You get a little more wiggle room because it's LP, but I'd stick with semi-chisel. I think you'll like it.

Danno77 said:
WoodNStuff said:
wkpoor said:

Do you mean the saw lacks the cc's to pull full chisel?
I don't want to answer this for him, but 18" on a 40cc saw is pushing it. You get a little more wiggle room because it's LP, but I'd stick with semi-chisel. I think you'll like it.

After getting my chain grinder, I'm much happier with my saw. The grinder gets the chain razor sharp. Been using only safety chain. Want to try something a little more agressive. But even with safety chain, now that it's sharp it cuts much, much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.