1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Congratulations and the booby prize, kiln dried?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by jatoxico, Dec 7, 2013.

1. jatoxico

jatoxico Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    If I see it I'll grab it. Burning pine and cedar courtesy of Sandy that is burning nicely after only about a year CSS. Some as we speak.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. eclecticcottage

eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WNY
    We use a splitter. It does split better after it sits for a bit, when it's fresh it's a sticky mess. It still splits into sort of odd shapes even later, but it's better if the saps run out a bit. We got a bunch of beetle kill that split pretty nice!
  3. ridemgis

ridemgis Member

Loc:
    South Kingstown, Rhode Island
    If you go with kiln dried, buy it when you are ready to burn it and cover it well. Then make it last by mixing it with the less than perfect wood from your stacks.
  4. Matt Ruggeri

Matt Ruggeri New Member

Loc:
    Rhode Island
    I'm burning some White Pine tonight, fell last February in our yard, was probably about 80' tall, and about .16" at the stump/ 10 Months later, and it's 15%, burns hot as paper, no coals and tons of ash. Love the heat, but hate having to reload every 90 minutes. It seemed to actually split easier when it was frozen solid. I originally split this stuff huge, because it was destined for the firepit this summer, but it's happily burning in the stove tonight!