1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Conical screw log splitters

Post in 'The Gear' started by slindo, Feb 16, 2013.

1. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I've seen that vid before, that is very cool! A buddy of mine is looking at a smaller version of that very stump screw for his skidsteer......

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. 711mhw

711mhw Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western ME
    That's what I want to do ^^^^^^^^^^^ pre split the 24" & up stuff for the hyd splitter.
  3. 930dreamer

930dreamer Member

Loc:
    Amarillo, TX
    Some trial and error here, owner stated the unicorn goes on the passenger side and use in the lowest gear. I set it up and it won't start into a log. I try it in reverse gear and it's a go. I'll need to set it up on the drivers side and re-evaluate. Will need to add a platform closer to the screw so the wood will track straight as it's screwed.

Video;

4. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    I used mine in D2 to split a bit faster. The Stickler mounted driver side, it's the just the way the threads are cut. Since the cone gets wider, if a log is not at a good angle it can lift the vehicle off the jack stands. You can take a lot of the wobble out of the spin with sheet metal shims behind the mounting plate.
    I split a few cords with it. It was a pain every time to use it, take off the wheel, mount the screw, take it off, put the wheel back on. When the truck got knocked off the jack stands, I was done with it.
  5. 930dreamer

930dreamer Member

Loc:
    Amarillo, TX
    My Jeep Grand Wagoneer has the same wheel bolt pattern but the axle flange sticks out too far for this too mount up. It's a shop rig so my plan was too use it.::-)
  6. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

<>::P
  7. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Wow - that is kinda painful to watch. It took 59 seconds for the first split to happen.