Conifer ratings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FLINT

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2008
Western VA Mtns.
Now that I've realized that pine is fine to burn as long as its dry, I'm going to stop going out of my way to avoid it (I actually gave away several trees last year!!!!)

The Conifers that I have available where I live are (mostly): White pine, Hemlock, and Virginia Pine.

From the charts I gather that white pine has the fewest BTUs, but does anyone know how Virginia pine and Hemlock compare - is one better wood than another? I can't find Va. pine on any of the charts.

Virginia pine is also called Jersey pine and maybe even scrub pine - anyone in the mid-atlantic area should be familiar with it - grows on drier ridges. It seems like it might be denser than hemlock, but its hard to compare because hemlocks are usually huge and va. pines are usually smaller.

I have plenty of hemlock available as its all dead or dying around here due to the whooly adelgid - which really sucks because we have some huge Hemlocks in the mountains around here - used to be SO amazingly beautiful.

Virginina Pine (Pinus virginiana) is not a real big or widespread tree, so maybe that is why it isn't on the firewood BTU charts. I think it would be similar to a lot of other 'yellow' pines like Pitch Pine, maybe Loblolly, maybe Red Pine or even lodgepole. I also guess that Hemlock and Virginia Pine would be pretty similar, firewood wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.