Connecticut's Energy Efficiency program residents pay for going to neighboring states?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brian26

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2013
Branford, CT
This thought all started when I was recently at the Home Depot in Danbury, CT on the New York Border. The guy in front of me had 2 carts full of Cree led bulbs at the self checkout. I'm talking 100+ of the bulbs. When I got to the parking lot behind him I joked with him and said wow your buying a lot of bulbs. He laughed and said they cost 3 times as much in NY as he pulled his cart up to his NY state licensed plate truck. These are heavily subsidized through our state energy efficiency fund. See examples below in pictures at my local Home Depot.

Just curious what your thoughts are on this. Here in CT both natural gas and electric customers pay a Combined Public Benefits Charge on their utility bills. These funds go to Energize CT which distributes them towards energy efficiency. They offer various rebates and incentives toward lower energy use. Such as instant rebates on led bulbs at Home Depot/Lowes, instant heat pump hot water heater rebates of 700 on the Geospring at any lowes. (A member from Long Island recently drove over and purchased one for $700 less than what it was being sold for on LI from my tip to do so)

They are now running a special for $124 for an energy audit and they will do up to $1000 for free of energy efficiency upgrades to your home. It seems the fund has a huge amount of money based on the incentives and rebates they are offering that they are now giving then away instantly and not even checking if your a resident. When I installed my Geospring HPHW over 3 years ago I had to submit a mountain of paperwork to get my $700 rebate. Now anyone can drive here from out of state and go to lowes and get the discount instantly.

Here is picture taken at my local Home Depot that shows just how much they are subsiding led bulbs. Its anywhere between 50-75 percent less than what neighboring states would pay.

I would guess that millions of dollars that residents pay into the fund through their utility bills is going out of state with people crossing the border to take advantage of the instant subsidies.

1239.jpg

Last edited:
Taken from the Energize CT website.

The Connecticut Energy Efficiency Fund (CEEF) works to advance the efficient use of energy; reduce air pollution and negative environmental impacts; and promote economic development and energy security.

CEEF supports a variety of programs that provide financial incentives to help Connecticut consumers reduce the amount of energy used in their homes and businesses. CEEF programs are reviewed by the Energy Efficiency Board, a group of advisors who utilize their experience and expertise with energy issues to evaluate and consult with Connecticut’s electric and natural gas utility companies on how programs should best be structured for and delivered to Connecticut consumers.

The Connecticut Energy Efficiency Fund is supported by all Eversource and United Illuminating customers on their electricity bills through the Combined Public Benefits Charge; and by Connecticut Natural Gas, and Southern Connecticut Gas Company and Eversource customers through a conservation charge included in their rates.

Partner Utilities
For more than a decade, Connecticut has been ranked as one of the top states in the nation for energy efficiency.

Since 1998, Connecticut’s energy-efficiency programs have helped small and large businesses, homeowners and renters, and state and local governments manage their energy use and costs. These programs and services are administered and delivered by Connecticut’s electric and gas utilities, which provide the energy expertise to help their customers save energy and money. Funding comes from customers through the Combined Public Benefits Charge on their electric bill and through a conservation charge included in natural gas rates.

http://www.energizect.com/about

Was the guy gonna resell them? If so, you could have noted his plate number and called it in.

Or you could just say the more the merrier, and higher efficiency makes us all better off.

If I lived in CT and was in your position I think I would first be proud that CT is doing so much to push higher energy efficiency and second be thankful that people are taking advantage of such savings both in and out of the state. Like woodgeek said, higher efficiency makes us all better off.

My town in CT actually gives away LED bulbs once or twice a year through this program. All you do is bring in 5 "old" bulbs and they give you 5 new LED ones. Granted they are crappy LEDs, but free is free.