Connecting liner to insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Postalizer

Sep 18, 2008
Central CT
Getting ready to install my Regency 2400 insert and want to run a few questions by everybody.
First, I was told the liner should fit inside the collar on the stove rather than over it. At first glance
this did not make sense, but the dealer said this was to prevent leakage onto the top of the insert
and direct it into the firebox. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this.
Second, about the actual physical connection between the insert and the liner, the insert came with
3 L-shaped brackets that screw into the liner and attach to the top of the insert. Is this enough
to hold it and seal it (doesn't seem like it would seal tightly, but don't know how airtight the seal needs
to be).

Any input would be appreciated,

Thanks

Ed

Postalizer said:
Getting ready to install my Regency 2400 insert and want to run a few questions by everybody.
First, I was told the liner should fit inside the collar on the stove rather than over it. At first glance
this did not make sense, but the dealer said this was to prevent leakage onto the top of the insert
and direct it into the firebox. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this.
Yes, liner or pipe always goes inside the insert outlet and each seam above if any goes inside the one below it. If any creosote buids up and runs down, it runs into the stove and not out the seams and all over the outside of the stove.
Second, about the actual physical connection between the insert and the liner, the insert came with
3 L-shaped brackets that screw into the liner and attach to the top of the insert. Is this enough
to hold it and seal it (doesn't seem like it would seal tightly, but don't know how airtight the seal needs
to be).
Yes, with the weight of the liner, the brackets are really not even needed, but I would use then as it is part of the manufacturers set up.
Put some furnace cement around the liner at the stove opening to seal any gaps up. And it will be tight then.

Any input would be appreciated,

Thanks

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.