Connundrum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MrWhoopee said:
tamarack said:
I like your plan. Please run for President in 2012.

Unfortunately, this is the "communal" approach to living and sharing. It's considered un-American.

Yeah! You commie-lib Nazi! We all go down on our own in a no holds bared race to the bottom here in America.

MrWhoopee said:
tamarack said:

Unfortunately, this is the "communal" approach to living and sharing. It's considered un-American.
Yeah, duh. Everybody knows you should each buy your own cheaper Chinese trucks. THAT's the American way!

Danno77 said:
MrWhoopee said:
tamarack said:

Yeah, duh. Everybody knows you should each buy your own cheaper Chinese trucks. THAT's the American way!

Alright.... let's not get carried away.

I can see the value of buying the truck now as it might be needed at a moment's notice, saves all wear and tear on the van, plus I can keep my tools in it during the week so it's ready to roll on the weekend (or even a weeknight if need be). The splitter would only ever be used on the weekend (well, this time of year anyway). Just concerned about the truck deteriorating - a 1990 GMC 2500 4x4 is what I'm looking at. Any issues with these?

babzog said:
a 1990 GMC 2500 4x4 is what I'm looking at. Any issues with these?

It's a GM.

Just kidding. I am a Ford guy. Just like the Stihl/Husqvarna thing. They are both good and each have their good and bad.

babzog said:
Danno77 said:
MrWhoopee said:
tamarack said:

Alright.... let's not get carried away.

I can see the value of buying the truck now as it might be needed at a moment's notice, saves all wear and tear on the van, plus I can keep my tools in it during the week so it's ready to roll on the weekend (or even a weeknight if need be). The splitter would only ever be used on the weekend (well, this time of year anyway). Just concerned about the truck deteriorating - a 1990 GMC 2500 4x4 is what I'm looking at. Any issues with these?

Fuel mileage with the TBI system's isn't the greatest. Watch for sticking trottle plates too. If the pedal seems to "break" free off idle... It's common and usually goes away as the engine warms up. It's not impossible or difficult to take care of it but it's a little bit of $$.

Generally pretty solid trucks. No major gotchas that I know of.

Generally pretty solid trucks. No major gotchas that I know of.

Rust is the killer of any truck. If you live in an area where road salt is used, look @ brake lines, fuel lines, tanks, spring shackles, etc. I repair vehicles for a living here, & many a good runner ends up in the bone yard because of terminal cancer of the underside. A C

You need a truck, that is if you're handy and don't mind working on vehicles. If you don't do at least some of your own mechanics it will probably wind up being a bit of a problem. Towing is one of the hardest things to ask a vehicle to do, and towing beyond its weight recommendation on a routine basis is asking for trouble. With the truck you're looking at, rust is the main issue I would look at.. frame, other structural members, cab corners and floor, etc. Is it an automatic? Check the tranny fluid for leaks and a burnt smell.

If you have a group of folks you do wood with, you can all go in on a splitter.

That's a neat chevy/GMC someone posted. Here's my 3/4 ton GMC.

Attachments

• IMG_1225.jpg
    IMG_1225.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 204
homebrewz said:
Here's my 3/4 ton GMC.

That is amazing...don't see too many trucks that old in that great of shape rolling around upstate NY.

Flatbedford said:
Truck. I paid $700 for my flatbed almost 6 years ago. The old stuff is pretty simple to work on and parts are readily available. As long as you don't care what it looks like, you can keep an older truck going without huge expnese. Insurance is cheap on old stuff too especially when the ins. co. knows it is a third, little used vehicle.

+1 on that. Insurance on the '68 GMC runs $82/year. It's pre-smog (here in California that's '75 or older) so there's no worries about passing. Parts for old Chevy/GMC trucks are readily available and cheap (mostly).

Things I would like to have:
Power Steering
Power/Disc Brakes
Taller Gearing (4.55 is good for pulling stumps, lousy on gas)
Fuel Injection

MrWhoopee said:
Power Steering
Power/Disc Brakes
Fuel Injection

Power steering is for sissies.

My 4 wheel drums are fine as long as I plan ahead.

SolarAndWood said:
That is amazing...don't see too many trucks that old in that great of shape rolling around upstate NY.

Oh, its got rust. I just posted a pic of its good side.

homebrewz said:
SolarAndWood said:

Oh, its got rust. I just posted a pic of its good side.

My '70 is pretty rusted too. It doesn't even have a good side anymore.

Flatbedford said:

In general I can live without power steering, but when plowing snow or manuevering in wooded areas, it would sure speed things up.

Having driven old VW buses a lot (sometimes with nothing but the e-brake), I know about planning ahead. When the vehicle has 2500 lbs of wood on it, it's hard to see that far down the road.

My Ford at least has power drum brakes. It stops pretty well until I have more than around 2000 pounds on it. A full cord of Red Oak and I have to plan ahead and drive slowly. Like most old stuff, the drivetrain is far more powerful than the brakes.

Flatbedford said:
MrWhoopee said:
Power Steering
Power/Disc Brakes
Fuel Injection

Put enough weight in the bed and it feels like power steering.

After much more thought and cost analysis, I've decided to forgo a truck at this point. I can buy my wood, C/S/D, for $1100 / yr. Call that my annual wood budget... which I intend to stay within (spending as little as possible).

A truck would carry an annual insurance cost of $400-500 (depending on discounts). Plus increased gas - I've spent about $250 to get 12 cords, I'd figure on at least another $100-200 for the same loads in a truck. Maintenance - oil chances and the like would likely be another $50-60. And then I still need to rent a splitter to get it done. Cost of operating a truck for firewood hauling comes out to about the same... might as well just buy the wood and save myself a whole pile of work and aggravation. I can usually borrow my parent's truck if need be (assuming they're not using it) for big jobs.

So, I bought a splitter instead. TSC has their 22ton Speeco on sale this week (ends today, IIRC) for $1150 (comes to about $1300 with taxes). Figured even if I end up just buying tandem loads of logs, I'll have to process that anyway and it's nice to have the tools on hand to do the work when I feel like doing it, without having to plan ahead to rent a splitter and have the planned weekend be rained or snowed out.

Thinking forward, I might end up buying or building a larger trailer in a year or two... 5x10 or 5x12. As well, I might beef up the van's rear suspension with airbags to level the load (the last load of maple rounds I brought home had the van's arse end waay down).

I thought that was the wise choice all along--you can get the wood there with what you've got, and now you can split it when you want and without bustin' your butt (to use my dad's saying).

S

Truck first. But who says it has to be a full sized truck. A small 4x4 ranger or s10 can haul a bunch, is decent on gas, cheap, and can be used for so many other things. A small truck can get you into peoples back yards up closer so you don't have to carry as far. I've found several folks wanting certain trees removed from their land so a smaller truck could get you into some tight spots a little easier. And a small truck will still haul 1/3 chord at a time. And you already have a trailer to up that quantity. Since I cut, load, unload, split, and stack on my own I can vouch for the gas splitter being a waste of time. I can split 10 times as much 10 times as fast using a maul. If I had a 3 person crew then the splitter would be the way to go.

I'd say you chose just fine. Getting all necessary equipment is primary to upgrading existing equipment.
Heck babzog, don't let folks give you crap for using your van and a trailer. I've hauled a fair share of heavy loads using my 97 Honda civic + 4x8' trailer. Get some strange looks now and then...

MrWhoopee said:
Flatbedford said:

In general I can live without power steering, but when plowing snow or manuevering in wooded areas, it would sure speed things up.

Having driven old VW buses a lot (sometimes with nothing but the e-brake), I know about planning ahead. When the vehicle has 2500 lbs of wood on it, it's hard to see that far down the road.
Mr Whoopee
regarding powersteering on your truck.
I have had GM's since i got my drivers license.One of the nice things about the older GM products is the interchange abillity of parts.You can get the power steering componats off a newer truck and they will bolt onto yours,One of the first mods i would do on the older trucks i bought,made resale easyer.You should be able to go up to the mid 80's and it will bolt right on,steering box,pump,and pully on crank.I would get the parts for nothing from the landfill.
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.