Considering a Stove, Wondering about Clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mimeismoney

Dec 5, 2015
Lexington, KY
Hello,
We saw this stove on craigslist, and were wondering what the clearances needed to fit into a masonry fireplace? I would prefer a stove over an insert, if possible. I hope it's okay to post this here:

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/app/5342502778.html

We have four different masonry fireplaces in our house, each was originally a coal fireplace, the house was built around 1897.

We would be having a professional installation, but I wondered if something like this might even be possible.

Thank you for your help.

Every stove and manufacuturer has different specs.........you have to figure out what model that stove is and then try to get the spec sheet for it.........i am gonna guess 18 inches of hearth from door opening......which you may or may not have putting it in a masonary fireplace from 1897....... No guess on mantle clearance.......

A stove is a definite possibility. Look up the specific model stove you are considering. I have found it pretty easy to check out stove requirements on line if I know the stove model. Specs will include the minimum distance to combustibles and the size and shape of the hearth required. Some will also require an insulated hearth so be sure to look for that. My own stove only requires ember protection so no particular R value is involved. The exhaust will be much smaller than the fireplace and that can become an issue. On a stove you want the right size stove pipe and chimney not just some minimum, so be prepared to add new exhaust path piping.

Thank you Toomb and Oldman47, I ended up calling a professional to check out our fireplaces and make recommendations on sizes for us, so that know what we should even begin looking for. I started a new thread on what he recommended and our experience with the Jotul dealer today, and more information on our space and needs. Thank you both again.

Status
Not open for further replies.