Considering a used Efel Harmony Catalyst

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

letmebegus

Nov 20, 2014
Raleigh NC
First time poster, long time reader...

I have considered VC Intrepid II's but on this forum they seem to be high maintenance.
I am pretty much getting one to keep the chill out of the air and add ambiance to a 1800 sqft 2 story with a high vault main room - where the stove will go.

It seems that these are about the right size for what I want to do.

After searching here on the Efel Harmony, I don't see near as much if any negative thoughts compared to the VC's - Am I biased in my reading?

I originally posted this in the older stove portion of the forum, but maybe there is more advice available here.

I have found a circa 1988 version of this in candy brown, kind of a maple color. with a 5 year old catalyst in it.
It has some chips in the enamel, are these repairable, I am certainly qualified to do it if the paint is available.
It has a cracked glass that is a small crack, the owner says it does not effect the stove at all.

What should I consider when looking at this? Gaskets? Areas of use/abuse?

First wood burning stove for me, been burning wood fireplace style for many years and sick of the inefficiency.
Have searched this forum and read what is available on these.

I have been trying to get a stove for several years now, and this one seems right "on paper" but I don't want to regret an impulse purchase if Efel's of this age are potentially problematic

What price range should it go for?

Thank you in advance.

The Efel was a pretty decent heater from reports I've read. The main concern will be parts if it needs them. The unit sounds tired and you are taking a risk. I wouldn't pay more than $300 for it and only if you have confirmed there are no, non-replaceable parts needed. Definitely replace the cracked glass and check out the side and rear liner for any sign of warpage or cracks. Check the stove body for the same. If the rear liner + glass need to be replaced you are already looking at ~$350 in parts.

Some parts for the Efel Harmony Wood Catalytic are available here.
http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/68/catalogs/Wood-and-Coal-Stove-Manufacturers-Cross-Reference.html

I checked Woodman parts supply for stuff this morning, and didn't see much available, at least not a new glass anyway.

Onedayglass.com will be able to supply the ceramic glass.

I went and saw it this eve and going to upload some photos of the gaskets and a crack in the side, I think is just the enamel?
They never used the ashtray to empty it of ashes, I wasn't sure how to allow them to drop in. It seems to be in good condition from looking at it.
And for some reason, it insists in uploading the pictures upside down. :( Considering a used Efel Harmony CatalystConsidering a used Efel Harmony CatalystConsidering a used Efel Harmony CatalystConsidering a used Efel Harmony CatalystConsidering a used Efel Harmony CatalystConsidering a used Efel Harmony CatalystConsidering a used Efel Harmony Catalyst

Interior needs a good cleaning in order to inspect, but it looks promising if the price is right.

No, it looks suspicious. Can you inspect the reverse side to see if there is a crack in the metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.