Considering a Vogelzang boxwood stove? Think it through...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elmoleaf

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2007
Southeastern Massachusetts
Vogelzang International.
Though it sounds German, it's actually based in Holland, MI.
An internet search of import records ( http://www.importgenius.com/importers/vogelzang-international-corp ) reveals they've imported products from a Taiwanese company called Formosa May Inc. ( http://www.formay.com )
You'll find the BX26E, BX42E and other stoves listed on their website. However, you'll also see that they're just an importer and exporter.
They import from Chinese company called Linyi Peizhong Precision Co. Ltd. for cast iron products.

In short, Vogelzang boxwoods are made in China.

I wish Americans would stop using price as their only criteria for purchase.
Buying quality does matter, for your own long-term satisfaction, enjoyment and safety.
Buying American products is important, for our own economy and keeping your fellow citizens employed.

Reactions: marty319
I suspect i may have had something to do with this thread so let me answer your rhetorical question.

>I wish Americans would stop using price as their only criteria for purchase.

Wood burning stoves are EXPENSIVE. Nice looking well designed ones are VERY EXPENSIVE. Installing one is also EXPENSIVE. Now let me ask you, do you know anything about software? Yet I bet yo ubuy cheap Carp all the time. Why? because it is cheap and you are willing to put up with the limitations. Do you own Adobe Photoshop? Thats an $900 application and wirth every penny. No. you probably use some POS bult by the manfr of your camera that takes over the machine, slows it down,cloags up everything and causes crashes.

So while you may be purists in THIS field, recognize that 90% of people are not and just want SOMETHING to burn wood in.

There are many many designs and many considerations and if this thing will throw out some heat for 15% of the cost of a decent stove then its a great starting point for cash strapped people in a enconomy going down the toilet.

A better subject would be:
ALTERNATIVES TO A CHEAP POS CHINESE MADE BOXSTOVE.

ya got any? Cos in three months I came up empty handed. Below is a list of the models I looked at very carefully
http://www.northlineexpress.com/ite...ium=feed&utm_content=cse&utm_term=5DL-DB03010

I called Drolet in Canada to try and find one with east coast pricing on the the west coast. Doesnt exist. You know how much it costs to ship one of these things? $260. Thats TWICE what I paid for this badly desinged Vogelzaner. TWICE.

So I am all ears. What do I buy for $200 installed?

You don't buy one for $200. You do exactly what you do with your software, you buy something that works. But keep in mind using some poorly designed software won't kill you and your family while they sleep. Something to think about with analogies.

Jason

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
Like the old pre-EPA boxwoods?
atlantaboxwood.jpg

This is what I am attempting to do. While not ideal, certainly been done before.
BTW I have smoke and CO dectectors.

Ok, relax Mike, and welcome to the forum.

If you're going to use the boxwood, please disassemble it and reseal/tighten up the joints. They are notoriously leaky and poorly made. They will produce a ton of creosote and have a nasty tendency to take off suddenly. Yes, it happens. I completely understand needing a cheap stove to take some burden off the budget. Really, I do. Just keep your chimney super clean and give the stove lots of clearance. Personally, I would try to find a $200 used VC Vigilant which will also probably need a bit of work but give you a lot more bang for your buck. Maybe upgrade later.

Really, no offense. I understand what it's like. Not touching cheap boxwood stoves is a business/liability decision for us. Those stoves should be used cautiously, IMO.

cmonSTART said:
Ok, relax Mike, and welcome to the forum.

If you're going to use the boxwood, please disassemble it and reseal/tighten up the joints. They are notoriously leaky and poorly made. They will produce a ton of creosote and have a nasty tendency to take off suddenly. Yes, it happens. I completely understand needing a cheap stove to take some burden off the budget. Really, I do. Just keep your chimney super clean and give the stove lots of clearance. Personally, I would try to find a $200 used VC Vigilant which will also probably need a bit of work but give you a lot more bang for your buck. Maybe upgrade later.

Really, no offense. I understand what it's like. Not touching cheap boxwood stoves is a business/liability decision for us. Those stoves should be used cautiously, IMO.

Mike i too understand the need to buy something cheap to make things easy. I too bought a vogalzang, mine was an epa insert and not the boxwood. Yes people have done that for a long time before the epa came to the stove world. They make heat sure. Your cast piece has a reputation for its quality. Anything like my plate steel vogalzang and i can see why. If anything just trying to promote safety here.

Get into burning, get wood stashed away and keep your eyes peeled for a deal on a better one later when you can.

Good luck.

By the way nice hearth you got there.

elmoleaf said:
Vogelzang International.
Though it sounds German, it's actually based in Holland, MI.
An internet search of import records ( http://www.importgenius.com/importers/vogelzang-international-corp ) reveals they've imported products from a Taiwanese company called Formosa May Inc. ( http://www.formay.com )
You'll find the BX26E, BX42E and other stoves listed on their website. However, you'll also see that they're just an importer and exporter.
They import from Chinese company called Linyi Peizhong Precision Co. Ltd. for cast iron products.

In short, Vogelzang boxwoods are made in China.

I wish Americans would stop using price as their only criteria for purchase.
Buying quality does matter, for your own long-term satisfaction, enjoyment and safety.
Buying American products is important, for our own economy and keeping your fellow citizens employed.

Agree

Another Zang thread with price concerns. My advise is to buy a used but good condition pre epa stove and burn safe. Dirtier but safe.

I got the full Adobe CS suite....free.
I won't elaborate any further ;-)

Hogwildz said:

Well, look at that! I seem to have the same suite on my computer. Wonder how that got there? :roll:

About as far off the rails as it can get.

Hogwildz said:

Well, look at that! I seem to have the same suite on my computer. Wonder how that got there? :roll:

Too bad I can't download a Fireview from a stoveshare site.

Oops. Damn touchy iPhone touch screen buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.