Considering the Vigas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
henfruit said:
As xclimber has said Mark is the guru of wood boilers.I have been working the fryeburg fair with him all week.What i have learned in a few days from him would take a year at a class.Last night we drove an hour to check on a customers install and check a problem and got home at 11pm that is full customer service.Also all the vigas he sells are lamda control.
Henfruit, doesn't Mark just make you laugh,? That man just truly loves what he does! I don't think I ever met a more dedicated person. Everything he builds, is meticulously done.

Stee6043

Well said my friend. Well said.

I want you to know I respect all of you guys on this sight. Your experience with these wood burners has led me through my thoughts, ideas, and considerations of installing a system like this. It is because of this sight that I have a Gassification System installed and running. I am trying to remember how I came upon this sight. The Internet has such an effect on us, we can not begin to understand the differences it is making in peoples life.

Even though I went against the grain and bought a Wood Gun, then went against what AHS said about storage and installed a 400 gallon tank with mine when the system went in. I am glad I did, in both of those decisions. I think it will work well for me. The only thing that will tell that for sure is time and experience with the system. And of course, determination. I always try to make the best of the situation I have. My parents tought me that. I am sure there will be things about my Wood Gun I wish were different. Just like most of you guys have found something you think they should have done better with your boiler.

So thanks guys. This sight is excellent. I enjoy reading a little bit everyday and learning something new. And then, most importantly, go out and do. The best way to learn of all.

Gasifier said:
Well said my friend. Well said.

I want you to know I respect all of you guys on this sight. Your experience with these wood burners has led me through my thoughts, ideas, and considerations of installing a system like this. It is because of this sight that I have a Gassification System installed and running. I am trying to remember how I came upon this sight. The Internet has such an effect on us, we can not begin to understand the differences it is making in peoples life.

Even though I went against the grain and bought a Wood Gun, then went against what AHS said about storage and installed a 400 gallon tank with mine when the system went in. I am glad I did, in both of those decisions. I think it will work well for me. The only thing that will tell that for sure is time and experience with the system. And of course, determination. I always try to make the best of the situation I have. My parents tought me that. I am sure there will be things about my Wood Gun I wish were different. Just like most of you guys have found something you think they should have done better with your boiler.

So thanks guys. This sight is excellent. I enjoy reading a little bit everyday and learning something new. And then, most importantly, go out and do. The best way to learn of all.
I don't think you went against the grain at all by buying your Wood Gun. My buddy is happy with his Wood Gun, or I'm sure he would have unloaded it by now.

Yes the vigas only has one lamba and that is all we need. We do it with one adjusting our air to fuel ratio. With forced draft we can use a smaller draw motor and our motor is not eaxposed to the heat of induced draft. andyes mark is a great guy.

henfruit said:
Yes the vigas only has one lamba and that is all we need. We do it with one adjusting our air to fuel ratio. With forced draft we can use a smaller draw motor and our motor is not eaxposed to the heat of induced draft.

[Edit:]

Previous version came across as sarcastic, as in the opposite of what I meant.

Regarding lambda systems, efficiency is a good thing, but generally the lambda systems only improve efficiency from 'quite good' to 'even better', and it's hard to justify the expense on the basis of efficiency alone.

Where I believe lambda control systems will offer compelling benefit is in eliminating any trace of smoke at any time, which could be necessary in places like smog-prone areas that cannot tolerate even a little smoke in the air.

I think forced draft systems have an inherent advantage in controlling particulate emissions and I applaud Mark for preparing a forced draft lambda controlled system for the North American market!

--ewd

I wonder why the Vigas has a two year warranty while the EKO/Biomass have twenty year warranties? Same manufacturer.

It also looks like the Vigas is not yet UL approved.

This may be a silly question but the "lambda damper" appears to do the same thing as slowing down the draft fan, doesn't it? If both primary and secondary air are controlled with the same damper what is the advantage over simply slowing the fan with a much simpler mechanism?

henfruit.

left you a message. I'm in process. Think I got a line on a couple of 500s locally.

I'll start gathering wood this week when i get home. my biodiesel setup worked out almost dead even in cost per BTU to buying dry wood.

I've got lots of dead standing and blow downs to clean up. will just cost diesel for the kubota.

I'll be in touch. I'd like the mrs. to come over and light your boiler from cold.

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.