Considering upgrading to a less noisy pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

quickrch

Hearth Supporter
Mar 28, 2009
Northern, VA
I have a Travis Industries pellet stove that I bought new and got a great deal from a going out of business dealer. The stove has had a few issues that over 10 years of heavy use may be par for that manufacturer. I replaced the blower motor, had the decorative bricks fail, and re-welded the seems of the fire box. Most years we have burned at least 3 tons and a few years when propane was high we did 4-5 tons. So I can conservatively estimate that we have run 35 tons through it in 10 years and used it non stop for 4-5 months (November-March) a year. It heats the upper two floors of our house which is over 3,500 square feet and has an outside air kit.

Things we love about the stove: Large hopper runs 24 hours except in the coldest time of the winter, relatively reliable (even when the fan went it didn't go all at once and I replaced it quickly).

Things we hate about the stove: Noisy, fans vibrate like crazy, can't get parts directly for it, no thermostat (It can have one but at this point I won't buy it), I clean it daily and it is a bit messy (may be me and not the stove)

I am looking at the home depot stoves and they seem to be an upgrade in sound quality and have thermostats with them. I know the quadra fire and harmen were the best 10 years ago. Can anyone offer some basic suggestions for an experienced pellet stover that wants a new one for a large house, with a large hopper, that doesn't look like a giant black toilet?

We are not failing yet but I am tired of the noise and may want to move this stove out of the house.

Reactions: quickrch
You could look at an Enviro Maxx
Hi BTU big hopper
Ask Ssyko he has one

Reactions: quickrch
Maxx is a Heat Beast. Retails around $3600. And reliable. Thats a lot of space your heating, I don’t think you will be happy with a TSC or box store stove. The Maxx and harman P68 would be the best choice

Maxx is a Heat Beast. Retails around $3600. And reliable. Thats a lot of space your heating, I don’t think you will be happy with a TSC or box store stove. The Maxx and harman P68 would be the best choice

We have a propane furnace for basement and first floor and a heat pump for second floor. Pell stove sits on first and warms second too. Basement is cold. Propane kicks on when it gets below 30 heat pump runs a little at night but the circulation from the fan moves more hot air upstairs than the heat pump itself. So my other heating units seem to be lasting much longer (than my neighbors with same house/heat setup anyway). We generally run the pellet stove on medium 24x7 except to clean and refill each day. The other units kick in as needed.

Thanks for the tip on Maxx we have a dealer near here that I used for our Chimney install...will have to check with him. That looks like a nice one. Wish it could take some nickel or stainless trim.