Harman P43 Noisy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

samy

Dec 19, 2023
CNY
I recently bought a new Harman P43 (Oct 2023). I'm not new to pellet stoves. This is my third pellet stove in 30 years and burn through about 3 tons of pellets per season. I replaced a Quadrafire 1200. It was over 20 years old and I thought it was time to upgrade. What I was really looking for was not only efficiency but hoping quieter.

In general I like the stove. Seems efficient as it qualified for the tax rebate which a replacement for the Quadrafire would not. I also like the simplicity of the Harman for cleaning. However, this is THE loudest stove I’ve had.

The distribution motor was just replaced and honestly it seems louder. I’ve read on other treads the combustion motor or auger are noisy and need to be replaced. It could be a combination of them all but even in shutdown when the auger is not moving it’s very noisy.

Is this just a noisy stove? If so it bothers my wife and I too much and it may not be the stove for us. I’d rather have a less efficient stove and quiet.

We’ve thought of upgrading to a different model P61, P68, absolute63. Can anyone verify if these are quieter?

Why was the distribution fan replaced?

On our P43 the pellets making that clinking sound when feeding is louder than the auger motor. We've become so used to the sounds the stove makes that it's usually only the first day of burning that we notice the sounds.

sam

Why was the distribution fan replaced?

On our P43 the pellets making that clinking sound when feeding is louder than the auger motor. We've become so used to the sounds the stove makes that it's usually only the first day of burning that we notice the sounds.

sam

Process of elimination. I complained it’s noisy so they tried it.

If it was just the clink of the pellets dropping, not a problem. This is so noisy, we need to talk louder not to mention the constant adjustment of turning the volume up on radios and TV as the stove cycles on and off. Trying to pick out the single noise, it’s a combination of the auger motor engaging, exhaust fan, and the distribution fan.

I recently bought a new Harman P43 (Oct 2023). I'm not new to pellet stoves. This is my third pellet stove in 30 years and burn through about 3 tons of pellets per season. I replaced a Quadrafire 1200. It was over 20 years old and I thought it was time to upgrade. What I was really looking for was not only efficiency but hoping quieter.

In general I like the stove. Seems efficient as it qualified for the tax rebate which a replacement for the Quadrafire would not. I also like the simplicity of the Harman for cleaning. However, this is THE loudest stove I’ve had.

The distribution motor was just replaced and honestly it seems louder. I’ve read on other treads the combustion motor or auger are noisy and need to be replaced. It could be a combination of them all but even in shutdown when the auger is not moving it’s very noisy.

Is this just a noisy stove? If so it bothers my wife and I too much and it may not be the stove for us. I’d rather have a less efficient stove and quiet.

We’ve thought of upgrading to a different model P61, P68, absolute63. Can anyone verify if these are quieter?
The other " P" series stoves will sound the same . .. . As far as the other models I honestly don't know. The Absolute 43 is advertised as " quietest pellet stove made in its class". Maybe an owner will post..

Reactions: samy
Any chance you can post a video around the time it’s loudest about a minute long? I’ve worked on a couple p43’s and they’re about the same as my P61A

I would not call either of my P-series stoves quiet. I think my P43 is just as loud as the P61a - except for pellet droppage. The P61a I can hear upstairs while the P43 I only hear occasionally even being on the same floor. It doesn't bother me as I'm used to it and know when it cycles on I'll have to raise the volume on my TV a fair amount.

I honestly don't remember thinking the P43 was louder than the Hastings it replaced though.

Reactions: Washed-Up and samy
Given that most stoves have the motors somewhat exposed and there is no sound deadening material, I would tend to think all would be noisy.

sam

Mine makes noise also, is it loud, maybe but after 11 years of it I guess i am used to it. But I do agree about it being louder than others. I went to a dealer to pick up a new combustion motor and they had on of the free standing cast iron models, don't know the number on it, but it was a nice harman, white and quiet as everything compared to mine.

Mine as it shuts down the combustion motor just sounds like a loud hum with a little vibration or change in pitch maybe. The distribution blower is loud but I have it full on,I will have to turn it back some and see how loud it is.