Harman or Quadrafire for my application?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jefrobie

Feb 12, 2024
Oldtown Idaho
Hi all, first time poster but long time reader here. I’m debating between the Harman P43 and some Quadrafire equivalent..maybe a Sante Fe but could use some input. I’ve got a Piazetta Pellet stove upstairs but I want to replace an old Vermont Casting Vigilant stove downstairs to modernize and we’ve landed on another pellet stove (although I’m tempted to stay with wood just for…). Anyway I have three Harman dealers about 50 miles away from me who carry both brands. A dealer I talked with today said he would tend to buy a quadrafire in my application as I’m not very close to a dealer and the Harman P43 are advanced technically and Quad’s will be easier to program, replace boards, etc, etc….If I were close to a dealer for service he recommends the Harman. Just wanted to throw this out because nothing I’ve read leads me to believe that the Harman would be too much trouble to program, service or just clean. (I know the quad’s are a bit less expensive as well). Thanks, Jeff

I don't know who said you had to program a P43, but ASFAIK, that is not the case. These are workhorses, not dressage horses. It seems to me the board would be easy to replace, but since I've never had to replace one in the 10 years I've been burning, (and I'd wager replacement is rare), I'm not sure why that is a concern. Go download the owner manuals, take a look at them, review their cleaning routines and operation steps. Also take a look at their specs (hopper size, ash bin size, clearances etc.).

It looks like the Santa Fe is a drop-pellet stove versus the bottom feed stove of the Harman (I could be wrong, so someone correct me if I am). I prefer bottom feed stoves as my drop-feeders were a more picky and work maintenance wise (cleaning burn pots etc). Not saying people aren't happy with their Quads, just that would not be my pick.

Reactions: ABusWrench
It looks like the Santa Fe is a drop-pellet stove versus the bottom feed stove of the Harman (I could be wrong, so someone correct me if I am). I prefer bottom feed stoves as my drop-feeders were a more picky and work maintenance wise (cleaning burn pots etc). Not saying people aren't happy with their Quads, just that would not be my pick.
I have a drop feed stove (Envrio) only clean the pot when I vacuum the stove once a week
and cleaning is just vacuuming the pot and you could leave it because not much of anything in it