Consumer Reports Updates it's test of the Leyden

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amick780

Jun 27, 2009
Northern New York
After our report, the manufacturer, Travis Industries, told us it linked the clogging problem to a fuel gate installed on a limited number of Leyden stoves. Travis says the fuel gate was added to address problems related to poor-quality fuel and is no longer installing the part as standard equipment, though the company still offers it to correct fuel-quality issues. Our subsequent tests show that removing the fuel gate appears to correct the clogging problem we experienced with longer, roughly 1½-inch pellets. If you experience clogging or other problems with your stove, contact the manufacturer ([email protected]) and the local authorized dealer for corrective action.

The new ratings, it is no longer Not Recommend

Attachments

• 32119_pellet-stoves-new.jpg
    32119_pellet-stoves-new.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 540
I sent e-mails to stove shops in my area who sell Lopi's and requested that they contact Travis Industries and pressure them to ask CR to retest.

I strongly felt that the CR rating was very unfair to a good product.

Ranger

Regardless of their ratings, I have no doubts about my choice. This is a very good stove, but everyone has their own personal opinion. I subscribe to consumer reports, and I was surprised to learn that this stove initially didn't get good reviews and I am glad they changed their report. However, the best way to get information on pellet products is through this site. Thanks for a great site and members who can provide priceless information and advice.

I usually buy whatever Consumer Reports DOESN'T like.... looks like there's an Englander in my furure!

god to know another manufacturer rep hangs out in here (extending hand) glad you are aboard!!!! the lopi leyden is a class unit IMHO

bummer they pushed the pdvc to #6 considering over 100K of them have been sold in the last 11 years. we must be doing somthing right.

sorry shameless plug, but i am glad to see im not alone in here

stoveguy2esw said:
god to know another manufacturer rep hangs out in here (extending hand) glad you are aboard!!!! the lopi leyden is a class unit IMHO

bummer they pushed the pdvc to #6 considering over 100K of them have been sold in the last 11 years. we must be doing somthing right.

sorry shameless plug, but i am glad to see im not alone in here

Mike, looks like the only thing they had a beef with was cleaning. Remember, those rating are cost-agnostic. So if you weight the cost in for the pdvc, which is 1/2 to 1/3 of the other units, I suspect you jump way up in the ratings. In fact, I would argue that in a BTU competitive world, your cost is a key part of the success of the Englander lines. I bet some customer surveys would bare that out.

I am a bit surprised CR did not weigh price into their recommendation.

amick780 said:
After our report, the manufacturer, Travis Industries, told us it linked the clogging problem to a fuel gate installed on a limited number of Leyden stoves. Travis says the fuel gate was added to address problems related to poor-quality fuel and is no longer installing the part as standard equipment, though the company still offers it to correct fuel-quality issues. Our subsequent tests show that removing the fuel gate appears to correct the clogging problem we experienced with longer, roughly 1½-inch pellets. If you experience clogging or other problems with your stove, contact the manufacturer ([email protected]) and the local authorized dealer for corrective action.

Sorry amick780, I missed this post and posted my own about this yesterday. Thanks for posting this!

Status
Not open for further replies.