Contractor didn't use flashing - Sunroom has a big problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Billb3, we were kind of stuck with the original FL room dimensions. There was an existing tile floor we were never going to match, and then there was the Permacrete we had installed outside, and I really doubt we could have ever gotten the two surfaces leveled and even. I'd have to go back and calculate the cost per square foot, but with the vaulted ceiling, even the beam that spans that would have to be a monster.

We considered cutting the 2x4s, but that would probably end up being an insurance claim on the insurance claim, and the original contractors were a nightmare at the end. The insurance company made a mistake in our favor, and the contractors thought it belonged to them. They didn't even know why. They got full retail on every task, and profit and overhead on top of that. Their line items including all the gravy didn't add up to the amount they were asking and they couldn't explain it. I had to get a lawyer in order to PAY them!! :mad: It took weeks to figure out what happened and months out of my life to deal with it. Worst money I ever made.

Anyway, the inside of the room had 4" baseboards, so we cut the drywall 3" up, and we're waiting for it to dry before we button the inside back up. It's one more example of needing a MM to read <20%. ;)

Here's a shot of the vertical supports. I don't know if these would be harder than single 2x4s to jack up.
IMG_4485.jpg

Man, the next time I build a sunroom it's going to kick some serious a**!!! Thanks.

Here it is, buttoned up. The gaffer's tape marks some cracks we made. It was a real PITA to flex a 10" bit of siding into a 9.5" space. Ugh.
DSCN0827.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.