Control board failure on Pleasant Hearth pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GregP507

Oct 15, 2023
Alberta CA
After 10 years of operating a Pleasant Hearth ph50cabps, it appeared to be dead. There were no indications of anything working at all. I purchased a new control board, swapped it in, and all seems well.

Upon inspection of the old board, the 5-amp slo-blo fuse on the board had failed. There was a ball of solder in the middle of the glass tube which leads me to suspect that the fuse may have failed on its own, and not from a fault in the board. The board has an MOV which shunts excess voltage spikes to ground through the fuse. On our stove, auger-jamming has been a frequent occurrence, happening sometimes weekly, depending on the brand of pellets. Each time it happens, the shear-pin breaks and has to be replaced. This has happened dozens of times, and each time, I'm sure there is a small voltage spike just before the pin breaks. I gather that the cumulative effect of all those spikes has caused the slo-blo fuse to eventually fail.

I intend to replace the fuse and keep the old board as a spare, in case the other board fails. If it doesn't work, I guess it's back to electric space heaters until we get it working.

I am having a similar issue. My stove just lost power one day. I checked all of the connections, the power to the stoves, even the fuse. The fuse appears to be intact. But while I was handling the board, something connected and gave power to the blower motors, but there is no power to the auger motor or ignitor.

This is my first time working on a pellet stove, but I am thinking it is a control board issue. Problem is, I can't find a control board anywhere. Do you know where you got yours from if I can't find any other issues?

Thanks.