controling overfire on an NC30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wccountryboy

Nov 9, 2008
NC
The problem Im running into is when I fully loas the stove for an overnight burn. Everythings going fine, good secondaries, and I shut the air all the way off. The fire continues to burn like the gates of hell have been thrown open. Stovetop temp easily hit 800*, much hotter than Id like. Even shutting down the air completly won't bring it back under control. I know that there's no way to comletly shut all the air off, but it should be choked enough to maintain some control. Is this a problem with the air lever not functioning properly, or being damaged? These very hot fires make me a bit nervous. Any suggestions?

Look on back of the stove on the bottom there should be an open hole plug it up with something like tin foil.

Forget the getting the secondaries going and just start closing it down in steps starting around 400 degrees and have it most of the way closed by 500-550. Shutting all the way down just makes for a secondary blast furnace. That will die and smolder after you have gone to bed. For the overnight load have it burned down to coals and the stove top around 300-350 before you load it up. And just load it to the top of the firebrick. Stuffing it to the baffle it just asking for trouble and won't gain you any more heat or burn time.

That is my story and I am sticking to it. :coolsmirk:

Yeah, my guess is that you loaded up before the previous load of coals had burned down enough, and the stove temp was a bit high.

Figuring out exactly when to reload in order to get the heat you need when you need it is something that will come with experience. Every stove/chimney/house system is different, so there really aren't any hard and fast rules.

-SF

corey21 said:
Look on back of the stove on the bottom there should be an open hole plug it up with something like tin foil.

I'm not sure if this is helpful. Have you done this with this stove? Seems like it would be the last option.

Similar to a high horsepower vehicle, a lighter foot on the accelerator is preferable to putting a sock in the carburetor.

Status
Not open for further replies.