Convection Blower Always On

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blindtripp

Oct 22, 2012
Central Massachusetts
Newbie here. I just finished the install on my first pellet stove (a CAB50) this morning. I've run it a couple of times throughout the day and noticed the convection blower wouldn't shut off even though I had the thermostat all the way down. The last time I ran the stove I let it run for over an hour and a half before I unplugged it.

I started looking through the manual for info. There was nothing about the convection blower always being on in the troubleshooting section but I did see in the reference section in the back that snap disk #1 controls the blower (and is connected with two purple wires). So I open the side panel to look for the snap disk and see 2 purple wires connected to a toggle switch and nothing connected to the snap disk (see picture attached).

snap.jpg

I just want to see that you all agree the toggle switch should not be there and that it's safe to hook up those purple wire to the snap disk.

I'd be growling at that dealer. You could plug the stove in and fire it up then after it has exited startup shut it back down and 30 minutes later if the convection fan is still running turn that switch off, just be careful as there could be plenty of juice there.

If the blower stops then with the power off and the stove unplugged remove those wire from the switch and install them to the snap disc.

But you should give the dealer the 20 question grilling.

I don't have a wiring diagram or exploded parts diagram of your stove so I can't say for certain what is what.

When you switch off the Toggle switch? Does it shut off?

They should be connected to the snap disc....You could unplug the stove and hook the wires up (Doesnt matter which goes on which?Purple/Purple) and re-fire the unit?

Then again, maybe the Disc was bad? Was this a showroom model?

When you switch off the Toggle switch? Does it shut off?

They should be connected to the snap disc....You could unplug the stove and hook the wires up (Doesnt matter which goes on which?Purple/Purple) and re-fire the unit?

Then again, maybe the Disc was bad? Was this a showroom model?

The toggle switch does turn it off. I disconnected the switch and attached the wires to the snap disc. I fired up the stove again and the convection blower did not come on at all.

I figure I'll let the stove cool down, unplug it and double check the connections in the morning.

The stove wasnt a showroom model. I picked it up from the stove shop. It was bolted to a wood frame, wrapped in corragated from the factory. It did not look like it was tampered with.

How long after start up did you let the stove run? The convection blower may take over 15 minutes to turn on.

If you gave it over 20m, then shut it down and inspect the connections and check disc. The wires obviously work to the Board :). So its either the disc, or you need to let the stove get hotter.

Looks like the problem is solved.

I re-connected the purple wires to the snap disc and started up the stove. Within 15 minutes the convection blower kicked on. Everythings been running smooth for a couple of hours.

Thank you both for your help.

Yep... Just needed to wait till the Snap disc reached temp :)

Maybe the toggle was left on when they spot checked (Quality Control) it? That's the only reason I could think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.