Convection blower not coming on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenimore

Sep 23, 2014
Hewitt, NJ
I'm hoping someone knows something about this.

I have a Winslow PS40.
The NEW convection blower is not coming on although it did come on late after installing it several days ago.
No error lights come on and stove does not shut down.
The stove has been completely cleaned inside and out. Could it be a defective snap switch or should I look elsewhere for the problem?

it could be a bad snap disc, you could unplug the stove and take the leads off the snap disc and jump them together and then plug the stove back in, if the fan works it most likely is the snap disc. If you have a multi meter and can test the ohms of the snap disc you can use a bic lighter to heat up the snap disc to see if the contacts close.

it could be a bad snap disc, you could unplug the stove and take the leads off the snap disc and jump them together and then plug the stove back in, if the fan works it most likely is the snap disc. If you have a multi meter and can test the ohms of the snap disc you can use a bic lighter to heat up the snap disc to see if the contacts close.
I'll try the latter. I have a Bic and I have a multi meter (hardly used) so I'll brush the dust off and give it a go. Thanks

I'll try the latter. I have a Bic and I have a multi meter (hardly used) so I'll brush the dust off and give it a go. Thanks
Well, it's definitely the snap disk in a weird sort of way. I followed dhall28's advise and jumped the leads. The fan kicked right in, so fan is good and the problem is the snap disc. Believe it or not I found more info here in a post dated12/02/09 that got me thinking some more. It's possible the stove temp by the snap disk is not hot enough due to clogged internal ducts, etc. I had cleaned all of this several weeks back but checked again. Clean enough. On this stove the snap disc is just in contact with the hot stove, but as I shined a high powered light there, I saw a sliver of a gap. A small push with my finger close the gap and the fan powered up. So for 5 years no problem and now an itty bitty gap and no heat. I may have to shim that area with a piece of scrap metal so the gap stays closed an tight. forum folks!

Fill the gap with heat transfer grease from your friendly Radio Shack???

Status
Not open for further replies.