Convection Questions? where are your fans?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

forya

Hearth Supporter
Feb 18, 2010
Bucks County Pa
I have a Harman Accentra (no OAK) insert heating my whole 2-story house. I have ceiling fans in all 3 of the bedrooms upstairs blowing up, and no other fans. I have a central AC unit that I could use a fan on, but I don't. There is a big return near the stove, but there are also 2 large returns upstairs and one in the Basement that just seem to mix the cooler air in. I just gave up on the basement and use electric space heaters down there when ever we use it.
Could I get real creative with fans to move the air better? Could I cut passive vents to the upstairs? or could I cut a passive vent behind and underneath the stove from the basement to feed the combustion fan only, and would that draw cool air from the basement creating negative pressure in the basement, pulling down warm air.

Status
Not open for further replies.