Convert outdoor BBQ to fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mercy

Aug 26, 2008
SE GA
Hello,
I'm new to the forum. I need some advice. I bought this crazy 1980's party house and on my back patio is this huge outdoor BBQ pit, chimeny and all. I've cleaned it out and would like to turn it into an outdoor fireplace. Has any one done this or is it even possible. It had a huge metal lid on the top and I lifted it up and tied it back to see what was going on inside the pit. It doesn't have a regular fireplace opening. It has a 3'x 6" opening (rectangular) about 18" from the bottom of the chimney base. The opening is about 10" deep at a slant. Can I just widen the opening? or is 10"s even deep enough for a fireplace. Totally confused. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll send pictures if anyone things that'll help.

Thanks Much

Mercy

i'm assuming its wood not gas? ... i dont see why not, but your best bet would be a good fireplace mason to ask
some pics would help... or at least be cool

Not having seen it, I'm just guessing here, but if the grilling chamber had a big metal cover over it, then the opening in the masonry low on the front wall is likely the air inlet for the rig. The reason it's only 10" deep is because it's built like a masonry chimney (sort of), in that it would have a shelf for ashes and whatever to fall onto without just spilling out the air inlet. Converting this beast into an open fireplace would require some pretty good masonry skills, I'd venture. It would have to be pretty well gutted, redesigned, and rebuilt. Why not just load 'er up, cook up some brats, pop a cool one and think it over? Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.