Converting a propane insert to a wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Volcano Master

Feb 1, 2016
Puget Sound
Hello All,

I was hoping to get some answers to my question of how hard would it be to convert a propane fireplace to a wood stove? We just recently bought a 1987 mobile home that had a wood burning fireplace. The previous owner had it converted to a propane fireplace and now we want to convert it to a wood burning wood stove. Any ideas on how difficult that would be, obstacles and cost? Thank you so much in advance!

Welcome. I would guess that this is a Zero Clearance fireplace and not masonry, is that correct? If so do you know the make and model? It's usually on a tag on the frame. Did the previous owner just have a gas log set added?

Welcome. I would guess that this is a Zero Clearance fireplace and not masonry, is that correct? If so do you know the make and model? It's usually on a tag on the frame. Did the previous owner just have a gas log set added?
Hi begreen, thank you for your reply. I do believe it is zero clearance and not masonry, but I am by no means an expert, which is why I'm here. I tried to pull the insert out to get the make and model but no luck. I did take several pictures hoping it would give you more information than I can give you. (I'm right in the middle of painting, which I why the rock is white) I took pictures of the chimney outside, maybe you can see what the previous owner had done. I just want to convert it to a wood stove because I have almost unlimited access to seasoned wood and my PUD bill this winter was outrageous due to my furnace. I don't feel comfortable using propane. Thanks again!!

Attachments

• 20160202_092555.jpg
    20160202_092555.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 178
  • 20160202_092608.jpg
    20160202_092608.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 198
  • 20160202_092629.jpg
    20160202_092629.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 20160202_092634.jpg
    20160202_092634.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 167
That's definitely an LP Direct Vent Insert, looking at the cap.
My guess is that is one of the smaller Regency models.
First thing to do is to shut off the gas at the tank or wherever the
gas line feeding the insert is teed off the main line.
To remove the insert will require taking off the glass & then the surround.
The upper louvers should pull straight out & the lower should be
hinged at the bottom, allowing it to drop down, gaining access to the valve.
Inside the drop down there should be a rating plate attached
to the floor of valve cavity. That will have the information on
the manufacturer & model number..
Once the top one is removed & the lower one opened, you will be
able to see what holds the glass front on.
With the glass off, you should be able to see how the surround is attached.
It's either held with screws, or it is secured on tabs extending from the insert body.
The venting should be visible in the area behind where the surround
covered the top of the insert & the liners aree usually held in place with 1/4 " drive zipscrews.
Disconnect the gas line from the valve & you should be able to pull the unit out.
If you get this far, post more pics of what you have & we can take it from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: begreen and sequoia
Status
Not open for further replies.