Converting from gas/propane to wood burning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodfairy

Nov 11, 2014
alabama
We bought our house two years ago in the country and it was built (in 2004) with a gas fireplace. There is a gas line ran to outside but it's capped and propane has never been hooked up. The "chimney" is covered with vinyl siding and is on the end of the house so it's completely accessible to the outside. How extensive (and expensive lol) is it going to be to turn it from gas to a wood burning fireplace? Do you need pictures?

It might take nothing more than pulling out the logs or it might mean pulling out everything including the stack and starting over we need pics and model numbers to give you input

The make and model number of the unit should be somewhere inside the front door frame. If this is a full gas fireplace it can't be converted. If it is a wood burning fireplace with a gas ignitor then it might be a simple matter.

I'll have to check for a model number. There aren't any logs in it at all. Nothing is in it except a gas line poking through the wall of it. lol I'll try and take some pics tonight and get a make/model tonight. It's not a glass unit.

Okay. Sorry it took so long. Here are the pictures. I took a picture of the little plaque on the inside, the inside of the fireplace, the exterior and tried getting a picture above the fireplace looking into the "chimney". I don't think that is even considered a chimney. It doesn't go up past the roof of the house. Also the "brick" inside is not real brick. I think it is a ventless gas insert. So I'm guessing the entire thing would have to be rebuilt? :(

Attachments

• 20141112_200738_resized_1.jpg
    20141112_200738_resized_1.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 94
  • 20141114_152359_resized_1.jpg
    20141114_152359_resized_1.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 20141114_152515_resized_1.jpg
    20141114_152515_resized_1.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 20141114_152554_resized_1.jpg
    20141114_152554_resized_1.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 99
From your photos, the location previously had a Vermont Castings UVBC36: Majestic Fireplace - circulating model.

According to the manual found here: http://literature.mhsc.com//archive/majestic//UVBR_C33_36_42 Vent Free Fireboxes 7412947.pdf it is a ventless firebox used for ventless gas logs.

I'm not an expert, but consider this a 'closet' and you will need to assess options for providing a wood burning appliance in a situation such as this. Possibly some direct vent option but who knows about clearances to combustibles until you look at options and study the manuals.

From your photos, the location previously had a Vermont Castings UVBC36: Majestic Fireplace - circulating model.

According to the manual found here: http://literature.mhsc.com//archive/majestic//UVBR_C33_36_42 Vent Free Fireboxes 7412947.pdf it is a ventless firebox used for ventless gas logs.

I'm not an expert, but consider this a 'closet' and you will need to assess options for providing a wood burning appliance in a situation such as this. Possibly some direct vent option but who knows about clearances to combustibles until you look at options and study the manuals.

Yeah I figured the whole thing would have to be torn out and an actual brick chimney built. Who installs a gas fireplace in the country!?!?! ugh. I've been calling around to different contractors with no luck. Most of them say they don't do fireplaces. :(

Last edited:
You don't have to have a brick chimney for a wood burning fireplace. You can install a double wall stainless steel pipe, I would imagine that a wood stove pipe would work fine and if I am wrong someone will straighten me out quickly.

You don't have to have a brick chimney for a wood burning fireplace. You can install a double wall stainless steel pipe, I would imagine that a wood stove pipe would work fine and if I am wrong someone will straighten me out quickly.
You are basically right but it is insulated class a double wall is connecter pipe. There are lots of different options as far as prefab units that use class a chimney from cheap builders boxes that do nothing to contribute heat to modern epa tested zeroclearance stoves

Status
Not open for further replies.