Converting gas splitter to electric

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TruePatriot said:
JRP3:

What a sweet machine!

What year is it?

How many batteries did you install?

What is the range?

(If you don't mind me asking) what did the entire conversion cost, in parts?

Thanks.

Mid 1970's I think, maybe 72 or 73?

4 AGM Odyssey batteries in series for 48 volts.

Don't really know the range in distance, but so far in a days use I haven't come close to fully discharging the batteries.

Conversion cost was about $2000 including $500 for the motor, $300 for the controller, $720 for the batteries and $300 for the charger. Could have been done for a lot less with regular batteries but I wanted extreme durability and current capacity, and I didn't want battery acid splashing around.
You can see more details if you click on the evalbum and blogspot links in my first post.

I have a gas/electric splitter that AmericanCLS built for me. I bought the motor and sent it to them to install when they were building the splitter. I like it alot. Just need to flip a switch to turn on/off. My splitter uses a 4hp motor that pulls about 18amps at 240v. A large piece of hard wood will stall the splitter at 2200psi. The relief is set at 2500psi. If I was doing it over I would use a 5hp motor but it is fine the way it is. Both pumps are two stage 16gpm. To see more check this link:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=66167

Can you run the electric motor at the same time you are running the gas engine? Wicked fast cycle time if you could.

clarkharms said:
Can you run the electric motor at the same time you are running the gas engine? Wicked fast cycle time if you could.

I can run them both at the same time but cycle time is nat as fast as I thought it would be. Cuts off about 4sec from the total cycle time. If the lines were larger it might help. You can only put so much through a 1/2 line.

Status
Not open for further replies.