1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Converting Heat-N-Glo propane to wood stove- HELP!

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by pcs2011, Jun 6, 2013.

1. pcs2011

pcs2011 Member

Loc:
    SC
    We recently purchased a home that has a vented heat-n-glo propane fireplace in the master bedroom (see photos). We used it for most of last winter but find the cost to be too much. We used a wood stove in our previous home and could heat most of the house at very little cost.

My Question: Could I have someone modify the heat-n-glo (basically rip out the guts) and install a small wood stove in its place? Has anyone done this? Would be glad to hear any suggestions.
    Thanks in advance,
    Pete

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    No, it can not be modified, it would need to be replaced including the chimney piping and you may have to get a special variance to get a wood heater approved for use in the bedroom.
  3. pcs2011

pcs2011 Member

Loc:
    SC
    Thanks for response.
    By replaced do mean the entire stone front also or just the internals?

Go heads up on the possible variance....
    Pete
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I'm guessing this is a total demolition job. If this was my house I'd leave it be and just use it for an occasional ambiance fire. If you need good heat in that room, consider a mini-split heat pump instead.
  5. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Begreen made some very good valid points, you would be looking at ripping this apart to redo for a chimney that is rated for wood burning temperature, and more than likely installing a freestanding wood stove would be the best bet, you would be easily into the demo and install $3000-$5000 to do it right.

Not to mention others that have had fireplaces/stoves in their bedroom say it was to hot and they woke up dehydrated. Can't turn off a wood stove with a flick of the switch like gas.