Conveyor plank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
Picked this up last week. Huge upgrade over the 2x12 I have been using.

Attachments

• 082611 converyor plank.jpg
    082611 converyor plank.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 429
That's gonna make Life a little easier. I seen the Pic of that in your other Thread with the Black Oak. Very Nice.
Did you buy new? Or was that a Craiglist find?

Used. Kind of a murky deal. The little cash I had in my pocket plus some saw time for the plank and 4 cord of the good stuff.

Looks like a section of gravity pallet flow, but not sure. Steel or aluminum?

Aluminum. Have to block it with a half round to keep it from flexing. Nice and light though.

Love it. I can already think of a dozen different applications that I could use one of them on. Congrats. Anything that helps you would "Smarter, not Harder".

SolarAndWood said:
Aluminum. Have to block it with a half round to keep it from flexing. Nice and light though.

Might consider bolting on a couple flip down "legs" in the center...if you get ambitious...then you don't have to find the perfect sized round. A couple scraps, some bolts and wingnuts would make that thing really handy.

Logs I just use a strap, tied to a tree and drive out from underneath of it. Wonder if that would work on rounds that size?

Solar, I agree that is a great way to load those big buggers.

Thats what i need to use when i put my wood in through the basement window. Great find!

12" skate wheel conveyor. Grainger and McMaster carry it new. Usually comes in 10' lengths, and you can get legs, guide rails, end stops, etc.
If I had to buy something like this I would use roller conveyor instead, or either one constructed from steel instead of aluminun.

To the OP great ingenuity, we have hundreds of feet of this stuff in the plant, never pictured logs rolling by on one of these.

lukem said:
Might consider bolting on a couple flip down "legs" in the center...if you get ambitious...

Definitely room for some optimization. Tried it first using the 2x12 on its side but rolled it on the first round. Size of the round for blocking doesn't seem to matter too much. The span is 10' and as long as it is supported somewhere it seems to be ok.

kettensäge said:
To the OP great ingenuity

lol thanks, but the only ingenuity I supplied was asking the guy I saw using it how much he wanted for it. Aluminum works fine and is heavy duty enough for these rounds. Nice to be able to move it around by yourself pretty easy. I bet a steel version would be pretty heavy.

SolarAndWood said:
kettensäge said:
To the OP great ingenuity

lol thanks, but the only ingenuity I supplied was asking the guy I saw using it how much he wanted for it. Aluminum works fine and is heavy duty enough for these rounds. Nice to be able to move it around by yourself pretty easy. I bet a steel version would be pretty heavy.

You are correct steel would be much heavier.

If you shorten it some if won't flex as much.

lol, unloading these Oak rounds was not the challenge and the conveyor was not involved.

kettensäge said:
If you shorten it some if won't flex as much.

The shallow grade is nice with the big rounds especially when you are by yourself. Blocking it in one spot takes care of the flex and isn't that big of a deal.

flyingcow said:
smokinjay said:
Logs I just use a strap, tied to a tree and drive out from underneath of it. Wonder if that would work on rounds that size?

This is how i unload my snowmobiles. :)

Mental note to self: Do not buy a used sled from Flying Cow. ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
flyingcow said:
smokinjay said:

Or a lawn mower? :cheese:

flyingcow said:
firefighterjake said:
flyingcow said:
smokinjay said:

Or a lawn mower? :cheese:

Or a lawn mower. ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.