Cook stove hot water system?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jrpitdog

Oct 23, 2018
Colorado
My wife and I will be starting the build on our forever home within the next few years. We plan on doing much of the work ourselves and plan on being 'off grid'. Will be using wood heat primarily from a large wood cook stove.

I ran across a couple of indirect water heaters. They are Superstor ultra. They are the stainless steel models, I got two at 45 gallons. They were only installed for a couple years and I got them virtually free.

What Im seeking advise on and my question has to do with a range boiler setup. I was wondering if a passive thermosiphon system heated from the cook stove would work with these tanks. They have the coil in the bottom of the tank. I have read before that for thermosiphon to work there should be minimal bends and turns in your plumbing, and I am unsure if it would work through the coils or not.

With the plan to be off grid, I want to use as little electricity as possible. I also will probably incorporate solar water heating as well. If the passive system is a no go I will just use a pump. I just want to get an idea if I should go down the passive system road at all with the tanks I currently have.

I aslo read that these type of tanks (thin walled, insulated) are also not the best for a passive setup, mainly due to the durability issues of the thin wall tank and possibly of getting too hot because of the insulation. When there is a fire in the firebox it will be heating water no matter what. Hopefully you'all can make sense of my questions, thanks in advance.

It's an uncommon request. I'll move this to the main forum and see if anyone has some thoughts. @jebatty @coaly any thoughts here?

They make them. Here's my take though: Combination stoves are not as good as single purpose stoves, because a lot of design compromises were made to also make it a functional cooktop and oven and water heater.

In the winter, that is not so bad. Put some wood in there, you get a warmer room and hot water and a cooktop.

In the summer, do you really want to be burning a wood stove in the middle of the house every time you want some hot water?

If you are going to feed the stove-heated water into a dedicated (electric/gas/wood-fired) water heater... is it really worth all the extra plumbing and heat loss to get a "free" heat boost from a cookstove that probably has a 3 hour burn time and is not running regularly?

I am not trying to talk you out of wood-heated hot water or a wood-heated house, but combining those things in one appliance has drawbacks.

If it was me, I'd have a significant ground-mounted PV array and a battery shed. No need for a grid tie. A passive solar water heater can still preheat for your electric water heater.

That's why I suggested Gulland's site. He has been working and living with these systems for a while and is pretty objective about the pros and cons. In olden days a home often had a summer and winter kitchen to keep the heat from overwhelming the house. Some summer kitchens were outside under a roof.

Last edited: